From: Calum Selkirk <cselkirk@g.o>
To: gentooppc-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentooppc-dev] Re: keyword explicitness | gnome-extra/battstat, x11-misc-bbapm
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 18:46:16
1 * nall [nall@××××××××××××××××.net] [2002-10-10 09:17 -0500]:
2
3 > i'm curious how explicit package keywords have to be. for instance, if
4 > package A depends on package B and package B has "-ppc", should
5 > package A also get "-ppc" (perhaps with a comment as to what
6 > dependency is causing it to be being -ppc'ed)?
7 >
8 > i realize that there's no real harm here, since dependencies will take
9 > care of not letting A be installed. i'm just curious if we're trying
10 > to get rid of all instances of ppc not being addressed in KEYWORDS
11 > (ie: making sure that either "ppc" or "-ppc" is in the KEYWORDS of all
12 > ebuilds).
13
14 Agreed it isn't ideal at present. I think the answer is yes, ebuilds
15 should be either ppc -ppc (and/or now ~ppc).
16
17 > if we're being explicit, the following should get -ppc since they
18 > depend on sys-apps/apmd, (which is -ppc):
19 >
20 > gnome-extra/battstat
21 > x11-misc/bbapm
22
23 I'm speculating (untested) apmd may not actually be necessary for these
24 ebuilds (and so we should probably change this DEPEND based on ppc? x86?).
25 I think these applications are less helpful than the existing
26 pmu/battery tools for ppc (still the choice should be left to the user).
27
28 I'm basing this on CONFIG_PMAC_APM_EMU=y .. from Configure.help:
29
30 CONFIG_PMAC_APM_EMU
31 This driver provides an emulated /dev/apm_bios and /proc/apm. The
32 first one is mostly intended for XFree to sleep & wakeup properly,
33 the second ones provides some battery informations to allow existing
34 APM utilities to work. It provides less useful informations than
35 tools specifically designed for PowerBooks or /proc/pmu/battery_x
36
37 This option does not seem to be in ppc-sources-2.4.19-r6 (but with
38 recent benh kernels) so we should perhaps KEYWORD -ppc until a time
39 when we can test with a kernel that has this.
40
41 best
42
43 cal