From: Stefan Bruda <bruda@×××××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] Running ppc64 stuff on a G5: Is it practical?
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 04:34:02
1 At 15:30 -0600 on 2004-7-29 mindfuq@××××××.com wrote:
2 >
3 > Is anyone here up and running with 64 bit Gentoo on a G5?
4
5 2GHz dual G5 runs full 64 bit Gentoo here. There are some quirks, but
6 the machine has been up for about 2 weeks without significant issues.
7
8 I installed on a live system (Yellow Dog beta, 64 bit kernel 2.6.4 or
9 thereabouts) starting from the stage 1 provided at
10 http://dev.gentoo.org/~tgall/. I did not manage to build a functional
11 system with NPTL so for the time being I am running the good ol'
12 linuxthreads. I also had to unmask quite a lot of packages by hand
13 (things are getting better in this respect though). Other than this,
14 all I did was a typical PPC install.
15
16 What are the problems you encountered? Unfortunately I am off for a
17 week long vacation so my answers will come really late, but others may
18 shed some light on the issues you have stumbled upon.
19
20 > Are you folks installing the 64 bit stuff from scratch, or
21 > upgrading 32 bit installations in pieces?
22
23 I believe that upgrading from 32 bit to 64 bit would be kind of
24 tricky, but I would not know for sure--I went directly to the full 64
25 bit install.
26
27 Stefan
30 If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
31 it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.
32 --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass
35 gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list