From: Justin Gombos <mindfuq@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-ppc-user] Re: Running ppc64 stuff on a G5: Is it practical?
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 00:14:13
1 * Stefan Bruda <bruda@×××××××××××.ca> [2004-07-30 21:49]:
2 > At 15:30 -0600 on 2004-7-29 mindfuq@××××××.com wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Is anyone here up and running with 64 bit Gentoo on a G5?
5 >
6 > 2GHz dual G5 runs full 64 bit Gentoo here. There are some quirks,
7 > but the machine has been up for about 2 weeks without significant
8 > issues.
9
10 I wasn't so lucky. I followed the process outlined in the handbook
11 twice to ensure that I didn't overlook anything. Both times the
12 failure was at the same point. I've had it with Gentoo. I'll
13 probably document my errors in the gentoo forum in case it helps
14 someone else, but I think I'll try debian next.
15
16 > I installed on a live system (Yellow Dog beta, 64 bit kernel 2.6.4
17 > or thereabouts) starting from the stage 1 provided at
18 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~tgall/. I did not manage to build a
19 > functional system with NPTL so for the time being I am running the
20 > good ol' linuxthreads. I also had to unmask quite a lot of packages
21 > by hand (things are getting better in this respect though). Other
22 > than this, all I did was a typical PPC install.
23
24 I did not understand half of what you just said, but it sounds
25 horrifying. Why would a Yellow Dog install need help from Gentoo
26 stage 1? I think I'll try to avoid both.
27
28 > What are the problems you encountered?
29
30 I'll post log dumps later, either here or on gentoo's online forums,
31 and drop a link. Basically gcc is toast.
32
33 The last command I could run successfully (with one exception*) was
34 emerge-webrsync. After that I ran bootstrap.sh, and about an hour
35 into it crashed at the point of "checking whether the C compiler ...
36 works". I ran bootstrap.h again, and same abnormal termination. I
37 tried to run emerge system, and forget it.. w/out gcc there's no hope.
38
39 What's strange is that gcc appears to be working. It seems that the
40 first hour or so of running bootstrap.sh gcc was producing output
41 showing that it's compiling things just fine. Then it blows up.
42 Maybe it was trying to compile itself at that point.
43
44 * = I seem to remember a timeout error of some kind when extracting
45 the stage1 tarball, but it extracted a huge tree of files which didn't
46 seem to be corrupt, so I pressed forward. I guess it's feasable that
47 the tarball is broken.
48
49 > > Are you folks installing the 64 bit stuff from scratch, or
50 > > upgrading 32 bit installations in pieces?
51 >
52 > I believe that upgrading from 32 bit to 64 bit would be kind of
53 > tricky, but I would not know for sure--I went directly to the full
54 > 64 bit install.
55
56 I guess I'm just going to forget about 64 bit on the dual G5. Even
57 the 32 bit gentoo failed on me (yaboot issues), so I'll be satisfied
58 if I can just get a 32bit kernel of any distribution working.
61 gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list