From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@×××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo PPC User <gentoo-ppc-user@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] more installation issues - network
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 21:06:54
Wolf J. Flywheel wrote:

>>My PowerMac 7500 has a built-in 10baseT port and an AUII port. Which >>one gets activated with the default kernel on the 1.4_rc6 boot CD? I > Is this during the installation, or afterward? I believe the most-used > networking options are built into the LiveCD kernel, so modprobe would > not accomplish anything if the ones you need are built in. > > You say it's plugged into a hub -- is this Mac going to need to go > through DHCP, or NAT, or something in order to get an IP? You may be out > of the realm of PPC-specific stuff in that case. :)
I figured it out. The kernel on the LiveCD had built-in support for the AUII port, not the built-in 10baseT port. Fortunately, I had a 10baseT AUII dongle from my now retired Performa 6100. I plugged that in I could access the network. It was necessary to have networking, because I share /usr/portage via NFS from one of my other Gentoo boxes. I'm installing on a 2Gb drive, so space is at a premium. -- Andrew Gaffney -- gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list