From: "Wolf J. Flywheel" <carl@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] more installation issues - network
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 19:15:13
On Sunday 25 May 2003 13:49, Andrew Gaffney wrote:

> My PowerMac 7500 has a built-in 10baseT port and an AUII port. Which > one gets activated with the default kernel on the 1.4_rc6 boot CD? I
In my kernel config, I have: # # Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit) # CONFIG_NET_ETHERNET=y CONFIG_MACE=y # CONFIG_MACE_AAUI_PORT is not set I saw no reason to bother with the Apple interface, although my 8600 has one as well.
> have a cable plugged into the built-in 10baseT port and I can't get any > network connectivity, but the light does come on on the hub. I tried > modprobe'ing all the modules in > /lib/modules/whatever/kernel/drivers/net and none of them helped.
Is this during the installation, or afterward? I believe the most-used networking options are built into the LiveCD kernel, so modprobe would not accomplish anything if the ones you need are built in. You say it's plugged into a hub -- is this Mac going to need to go through DHCP, or NAT, or something in order to get an IP? You may be out of the realm of PPC-specific stuff in that case. :) As a useless side note, I never figured out how to get local video working on my beige beast, so all of my access is by SSH from another room. :-p -- // Carl Hudkins :: ICQ 5723399 :: PGP 50238D9E // // "Romulan spies, Romulan spies / Without honor in the Klingons' eyes // Wanna destroy the Enterprise / Romulan spies" // (To the tune of "Particle Man", by They Might Be Giants) -- gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] more installation issues - network Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@×××××××××××××××××××.net>