From: Lincoln Rutledge <lrutledge@×××××××××.net>
To: Stefan Bruda <bruda@×××××××××××.ca>
Cc: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] bootstrap install from hfs partition?
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 16:32:49
1 On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 10:14, Stefan Bruda wrote:
2 > At 08:57 -0400 on 2004-8-17 Lincoln Rutledge wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Okay, sounds like the stage file is my root file system that I'll have
5 > > after install?
6 >
7 > Quite accurate, also see the other popst answering your question for a
8 > bit more detail, and do read the said Gentoo Handbook. It does have
9 > some limitations, but it is the most complete document out there.
10 >
11 > > This assumes I already have a Linux system running with networking. I
12 > > have a chicken-or-egg problem here.
13 >
14 > Unfortunately, you are right. I brought the whole thing up because
15 > you mentioned a working Debian system on your machine, which will do
16 > quite nicely. If not, I am sure you could consider installing some
17 > minimal installation (in the swap partition maybe if disk space is an
18 > issue) and take it all from there.
19 This is a thought. I could install Debian in the swap partition, then
20 put the stage 3 filesystem in the / partition I am currently using. At
21 that point do I need to put a kernel in my bootstrap partition and boot
22 to it from yaboot? Or when I do the chroot, is there a Gentoo installer
23 program I can execute to handle setting up bootstrapping and finish the
24 install?
27 > > This is above my head, but I can sit down with the handbook.
28 >
29 > Yes, this is very advisable, it is a must in fact, one should read the
30 > handbook before attemtping a Gentoo installation.
31
32 I don't see anything regarding what I am attempting here :)
36 > > Thanks Stefan, I'll look into it. :)
37 >
38 > You are welcome, good luck.
39 >
40 > Stefan
41 The Information Revolution will be fought on the command line. -- From a
42 Slashdot.org post
46 gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list