From: Markus Moebs <wonderful_spam@×××.de>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] Unable to boot Linux 2.4 on iBook G4
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 22:01:30
1 * Praveen C <cpraveen@×××××.com> [2005-05-20]:
2 > I have used speedfreq but I did not notice any difference on the cpu
3 > temperature.
4
5 How do you check the temperature? If the cpu is really idle, maybe
6 the harddisk is used heavily, I think it can generate quite some
7 heat as well. Or, hmm, maybe it is a newly appeared bug in the
8 kernel, which one are you using, mine is a 2.6.12-rc2.
9
10 I do not remember if some special kernel features have to be
11 compiled in to make cpu frequency control work... but I do not
12 think so. Probably try to compile with aronchis .conf from
13 http://www.aronchi.org/LinuxOnIBookG4 or use it as a basis for
14 your .conf with make oldconfig, since it is pretty old and a lot
15 of new kernel options have appeared.
16
17 > I did not know that pbbuttonsd could control cpu frequency. I cannot
18 > find anything in the man pages.
19
20 You can use pbbuttonsd to trigger changes to the cpu frequency
21 when the power cord is attached or removed using anAC_policy and
22 onBattery_policy in /etc/pbbuttonsd.conf. They are documented in
23 man pbbuttonsd.conf. You will, however, still have to tell
24 pbbuttonsd what you mean with 'powersave' or 'performance'. You
25 can define your policies using the power management scripts in
26 /etc/power. Check out the README in this directory, IIRC it helped
27 me a lot. To shorten things here is an excerpt from my
28 /etc/power/pmcs-pbbuttonsd
29
30 #------------------------------------------------------------
31 case "$1" in
32 emergency)
33 shutdown -h now "Low battery - system will go down now!"
34 ;;
35 powersave)
36 speedfreq -p dynamic
37 ;;
38 performance)
39 speedfreq -p performance
40 ;;
41 *)
42 cd `dirname $0`
43 [ -d ${1}.d ] && run-parts --arg="$1" --arg="$2" --arg="$3" ${1}.d
44 run-parts --arg="$1" --arg="$2" --arg="$3" event.d
45 ;;
46 esac
48
49 I do not remeber whether I told pbbuttonsd to use this script or
50 whether this is the default and will work for you, too. Just try
51 it, disconnect your laptop from the powersupply and check whether
52 the cpu policy has changed using speedfreq -cs.
53
54 So long.
57 gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list