From: Jason Warm <jwarm@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-ppc-user] Installing Gentoo on Old World PPC
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 18:14:33
1 Greetings all,
2 I am testing out PPC linux distros out for a local group. I have had a
3 very pleasant experience with Yellow Dog and am now about to embark down
4 the Gentoo road. Well looks like soons as I put the key in the ignition
5 I have already hit a brick wall.
6
7 The installation of Yellow Dog proceeded fairly smoothly. I was able to
8 install BootX, copy the Ram Disk and the VMLinux kernel onto my OS 9
9 partition and was off and running. Well obviously I have got BootX
10 installed now, but I can not seem to find the kernel I need to begin the
11 boot and install of Gentoo.
12
13 First off when I downloaded the LiveCD 2004.1 I don't even see a directory
14 where they would have included BootX. Not a major problem since I already
15 have it from YDL. When I look in the boot directory I see initrd.img.gz.
16 I assume that this is the RAM disk, I then see several files like G4,
17 G4-SMP. I assume these are the needed kernels, but where is G3? I am
18 trying to load this up on a Wallstreet Powerbook.
19
20 Any help would be appreciated,
21 Jason
24 gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list