From: Eric Olinger <EvvL@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] Installing Gentoo on Old World PPC
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 18:38:20
1 On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 14:14:19 -0400 (EDT)
2 "Jason Warm" <jwarm@××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > First off when I downloaded the LiveCD 2004.1 I don't even see a
5 > directory where they would have included BootX. Not a major problem
6 > since I already have it from YDL. When I look in the boot directory I
7 > see initrd.img.gz. I assume that this is the RAM disk, I then see
8 > several files like G4, G4-SMP. I assume these are the needed kernels,
9 > but where is G3? I am trying to load this up on a Wallstreet
10 > Powerbook.
11 You can use the G4 kernel to load a G3 Box. You want to use the
12 initrd.img.gz from the cd. Then you need to pass it the 'rw
13 init=/linuxrc cdroot' as options and make sure that the ramdisk size is
14 at least 32000.
15
16 That should load the Gentoo CD on a Old World Mac. Thats how I did it
17 at least. There is a currently pending bug (46534) for adding Old World
18 Mac boot instructions to the PPC Install Guide.
22 Eric Olinger
23
24 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xF90FBBC1
25 Key fingerprint: B678 9E22 1161 51CF 6664 7591 6767 5BDB F90F BBC1
26
27 Give a man a password, he'll log in for a day. Teach him to code, and he
28 will hack his way in...