From: "David Bélanger" <dbelan2@×××××××××.ca>
To: "mauricio hernàndez" <mhz@××××××.cl>
Cc: bong@×××××××××××××××.au, gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] VFS: Unable to mount root fs
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 22:16:39
1 On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 06:10:20PM -0300, mauricio hernàndez wrote:
2 > I know, I know, I know. There are like 20 differents posts in the Forums and Google.
3 >
4 > However, NONE of the answers work for me. I don't know much about hardware but
5 > honestly, I just can't make my new Gentoo install boot right.
6 >
7 > After 2 days tryin different compilings, info for OldWorld powerbooks, etc, only today morning
8 > I could go through all the processes listed in the Handbook and finished -I suppossed- the
9 > installation.
10 >
11 > BUT, when using BootX, and booting into Gentoo...
12 >
13 > VFS: Cannot open root device "hda10" or unknown block (o,o) Please append a correct "root"
14 > boot option .
15 > Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs.
18 Hi,
19
20 The root device need to be specified in the boot loader (otherwise, how
21 does Linux access the fstab :) ).
22
23 Double check your BootX config if everything specified correctly.
24 I don't know about BootX.
25
26 One thing you could try is to specify the root device manually as a
27 kernel arg when it boots:
28 linux root=/dev/hda10
29 To see if there is no problem with hda10 itself.
30
31 Good luck,
32 David
33