From: "mauricio hernàndez" <mhz@××××××.cl>
To: bong@×××××××××××××××.au
Cc: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-ppc-user] VFS: Unable to mount root fs
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 21:09:18
1 I know, I know, I know. There are like 20 differents posts in the Forums and Google.
2
3 However, NONE of the answers work for me. I don't know much about hardware but
4 honestly, I just can't make my new Gentoo install boot right.
5
6 After 2 days tryin different compilings, info for OldWorld powerbooks, etc, only today morning
7 I could go through all the processes listed in the Handbook and finished -I suppossed- the
8 installation.
9
10 BUT, when using BootX, and booting into Gentoo...
11
12 VFS: Cannot open root device "hda10" or unknown block (o,o) Please append a correct "root"
13 boot option .
14 Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs.
17 My fstab is
18
19 /dev/hda10 / ext3 noatime 0 1
20 /dev/hda9 none swap sw 0 0
21 /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,user 0 0
22
23 none /proc proc defaults 0 0
24 /dev/hda11 /home ext3 defaults 0 0
25
26 tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
29 I remember I followed ALL as directed in the Handbook (except for the a couple of OldWorld
30 stuff I had to adapt for myself but nothing regarding kernel or configs)
31
32 Could you please give an Idea?
33
34 I had a similar problem when I tried to use a precompiled 2.6.x kernel from Ben when I used
35 Debian (no problems at all with 2.4.18), so I thought that if I will end up compiling why not
36 using Gentoo instead? :( Now, I am about going back to Debian, but after spending so
37 much time in a Gentoo ppc oldwolrd box... I would feel even more frustrated.
40 MHZ
41
42 << Liberty is the freedom to choose, and freedom is the result of the right choice >>
43
44 ID #287183
45 http://counter.li.org/index.html
48 gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list