From: Joseph Jezak <josejx@g.o>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] yaboot has kicked my butt - 5 times?!
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 17:37:18
On 09/25/10 16:40, Mark Knecht wrote:

> I cannot due to the same sort of message I get when trying to boot: > > e2fsck_check_if_mount: Can't check if filesystem is mounted due to > missing mtab file > fsck.ext3: Device or resource busy while trying to open /dev/hda4 > Filesystem mounted or opened exclusively by another program? > > For kicks I tried umount /dev/hda4 but that complains about the > missing mtab file also. It seems from the man page I could force it > but I didn't want to do that, and again if I did and it even worked > then where would the system read fsck.ext3 from to do the check since > it's on /dev/hda4 itself? >
Okay, let's try a few things now that we can boot the machine (even if it's not all the way!). First, lets mount proc: # mount -t procfs none /proc Now, try fsck.ext3 again. Does it work? Next, let's remount the root file system read/write so we can modify files: # mount -o remount,rw / We'll copy the current mount information from proc to /etc/mtab and see if that helps: # cp /proc/self/mounts /etc/mtab # mount -o remount,ro / Now, try fsck.ext3 again. Does it work? If so, try rebooting the system again. Does it boot now? (snip)
> I've gone back and done a couple more experiments: > > 1) So far anything I try that refers to the drive as /dev/sda4 results > in a VFS not syncing type error so at least as far as the boot process > goes hda4 seems to be the right device. >
hda4 will be the right device as long as you have the old ide driver in your kernel.
> 2) I tried building in the PATA_MACIO driver but that by itself didn't > change anything: > > (chroot) livecd / # cat /usr/src/linux/.config | grep MACIO > CONFIG_PATA_MACIO=y > CONFIG_ADB_MACIO=y > (chroot) livecd / # > > The boot still fails at the same point with the same message. Possibly > some other ATA driver is being selected ahead of this one and maybe it > needs to be removed from the kernel? I don't know what to remove > though so I'm sort of stuck on that account. >
The old PMAC_IDE driver is getting picked before the PATA_MACIO driver. If you'd like to try the newer driver, you'll need to disable the old one first. -Joe

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] yaboot has kicked my butt - 5 times?! Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>