From: "Wolf J. Flywheel" <carl@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] installation woes
Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 16:20:18
On Thursday 22 May 2003 13:28, Andrew Gaffney wrote:

> I'm not really much of a Mac person (or atleast the OS). I'm trying to > install Gentoo on my PowerMac 7500 that I just got last night. I have > MacOS 7.5.2. It doesn't come with Netscape or BinHex or anything else > useful. I have no way to get BootX, or Netscape, or StuffIt, or > anything like that. I tried downloading the files I needed on my x86 > Gentoo box and burning them to a CD. My Mac just saw the files as text > files. What can I do?
Ok, I went through a similar mess when I got a Power Mac 8600 recently. I kept some notes on what I did, so you should be able to get up and running in the same way. First I went to Aladdin's web site, to download Stuffit Expander for System 7.5. Then, the question is how to get that file over to the Mac in a form it can use. On your working Gentoo box: emerge hfstools This gives you utilities to mount and deal with Apple filesystems. Using them is not as transparent as the "mtools" for dealing with DOS systems, but it works. You might also be able to just use "mount -t hfs" *if* you built HFS(+) support into your kernel or as a module. Now you can do "hmount untitled" to mount a Mac-formatted floppy ("hformat /dev/fd0" to make one); "hcopy -b aladdin_whatever untitled:" (note the colon there, and read the hcopy manual to know why it's needed!) to get the HQX file onto the disk and un-BinHexed. Go to Mac, install Stuffit Expander, rebuild desktops per Stuffit instructions. At this point, if you've burned the Gentoo-ppc install CD using the ISO from the install docs, the Mac should recognize the things on it and you should be able to open the stuffed files to get started. Good luck, -- // Carl Hudkins :: ICQ 5723399 :: PGP 50238D9E // // "Romulan spies, Romulan spies / Without honor in the Klingons' eyes // Wanna destroy the Enterprise / Romulan spies" // (To the tune of "Particle Man", by They Might Be Giants) -- gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] installation woes Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@×××××××××××××××××××.net>