From: Joseph Jezak <josejx@g.o>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] yaboot has kicked my butt - 5 times?!
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 20:00:25
1 On 09/23/10 13:55, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 5:05 AM, <kahl@××××××××××××.ca> wrote:
3 >> Mark,
4 >>
5 >> > However I note that I cannot run updatedb for slocate without
6 >> > also getting a message about /etc/mtab not existing. Should mtab exist
7 >> > withing the chroot?
8 >>
9 >> For certain things, it seems to be needed --- the amd64 handbook includes a
10 >> way to get it among the grub instructions.
11 >>
12 >> By the way, if I recall correctly, you once mentioned you had an ubuntu on
13 >> that machine with grub working --- I would just reuse that grub for booting
14 >> gentoo. (I have done this before on amd64, but not on any Mac.)
17 >> Wolfram
20 > Wolfram,
21 > On first reading I would have said 'he's crazy!' because grub is
22 > for x86/PC architecture only, right? At least I think that's the case
23 > with the original grub.
24 >
25 > However apparently grub2 does now run (sort of) on PowerPC:
26 >
27 > http://grub.enbug.org/TestingOnPowerPC
28 >
29 > I think it's more in a testing phase, and if Joe or others help me
30 > work out what I'm doing wrong then I won't need grub2, but given a bit
31 > of time it might be interesting to try out. Unfortunately the known
32 > bug list might make it hard for someone at my experience level.
33 >
34 > Looking in portage it doesn't seem to be available so I'd have to
35 > look for an overlay that might have it.
36 >
37 > Thanks,
38 > Mark
41 Yeah, grub2 isn't really user ready yet. It does work on ppc, but cannot
42 boot OSX (at least last time I tried it it couldn't).
43
44 -Joe