From: Josh McCormack <joshmccormack@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] working Old World Linux Mac
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 23:58:16
1 I figured it out. Duh.
2
3 login as root
4 hit enter for password
5
6 Josh
7
8 Josh McCormack wrote:
9
10 > I set BootX to the settings I got from Pieter Van den Abeele, but was
11 > still having some problems. I tried pointing to the livecd.img file on
12 > the CD, but got complainst during boot of trying to go beyond the
13 > system. So I copied the contents of the CD onto a directory in the
14 > System folder of the same name, pointed it there, changed my ramdisk
15 > size to 24000, which some reported as having helped, and things look
16 > good. Got lots of things loading, but now I'm stuck at a prompt:
17 >
18 > LiveCD.GentooPPC login:
19 >
20 > hitting enter only gets the same, putting in just anything then
21 > prompts me for a password, which ends up being wrong. What should I be
22 > putting in here?
23 >
24 > Josh
27 > tom wrote:
28 >
29 >> Josh McCormack wrote:
30 >>
31 >>> Did you use an image like this one?
32 >>> .../pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo/releases/1.4_rc1/ppc/stage1-ppc-1.4_rc1.tbz2
33 >>> <http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo/releases/1.4_rc1/ppc/stage1-ppc-1.4_rc1.tbz2>
34 >>>
35 >>>
36 >>> I found 1.4_rc1 and 1.4_rc3 (in a rc2 directory) and experimental ones.
37 >>>
38 >>> Is there a special way to burn this onto a CD? I'm burning on
39 >>> Windows, and I don't think I did it right.
43 >> I used an iso from the experimental directory:
46 >> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo/experimental/ppc/livecd/livecd-ppc-281202.iso
49 >> I used this as the system image to boot into. You just have to burn
50 >> the CD as a raw image file. The .tbz2 files are the stages that you
51 >> make into your new gentoo system. You boot into the system on the
52 >> LiveCD, partition your disks, make your filesystems, set up your
53 >> network, and extract your stage tarball onto said filesystems. Then
54 >> you are able to chroot into your baby system and (for stage1)
55 >> bootstrap. The docs for 1.2 are pretty much applicable, and much more
56 >> in depth than I am :)
57 >>
58 >> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-ppc-install.xml
59 >>