From: Carl Hudkins <carl@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] Booting Gentoo 2006.1 on an iMac
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 00:55:34
1 On Sun September 10 2006 11:37, Charles Trois wrote:
2
3 > I am having trouble while installing 2006.1 on my iMac. I have made
4 > other installations before, but never had this problem.
5 > I am using the Universal ppc disk, and I have followed strictly all the
6 > steps in the 2006.1 handbook. I have not made any modules, everything is
7 > in the kernel.
8 >
9 > What happens is that, on the final reboot, I see 10 or 15 lines of text
10 > (is that the Open Firmware part?) that disappear immediately. Then there
11 > is nothing, and I have to cut the power to go on.
12
13 The symptoms seem like a problem I had installing Gentoo on an *old* Power Mac
14 (one of those really heavy beige boxes). On boot, the initial penguin and a
15 few lines of text were all I saw, and the box seemed dead. However, it
16 turned out that I hadn't loaded the right video driver in the kernel, and so
17 (at the point in the bootup process where it changes video modes) the screen
18 was freezing, though the machine was actually up and running.
19
20 Some things to check:
21
22 Is it actually alive? Do the Caps-/Num-Lock keys cause lights to change on
23 the keyboard? If you type your login and password (even though you can't see
24 anything) and then something like "ls -R /" can you hear hard drive activity?
25
26 How I dealt with the problem when I had it (working from memory here):
27
28 1. Wait for boot activity to cease (no hard drive noise) and log in as root
29 (typing blind).
30 2. "emerge ssh" and wait for hard drive noise to stop.
31 3. "/etc/init.d/sshd start" and wait a bit. (First time sshd starts, it
32 generates some keys, which can take a few minutes if your machine is slow
33 like that one was.)
34 4. Go to another box on the LAN and log in to that one. From there, you
35 should be able to build a new kernel, set up yaboot, etc.
36
37 I hope this is some help to you. :)
40 // Carl Hudkins :: Jabber rassilon@××××××.org :: PGP 50238D9E
41 //