From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Representation of Gentoo on third-party platforms
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2016 12:20:56
1 On Mon, Nov 7, 2016 at 2:43 AM, Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Gentoo is ultimately better off if it takes its stance of
4 > non-involvement more seriously and butts out of any disputes until
5 > they affect Gentoo itself, i.e. commit wars, spam or harassment in
6 > IRC/forums, etc.
7
8 As far as I can tell that is basically the status quo. About the only
9 times I've seen Comrel doing anything is when it involves fairly
10 serious issues that fall into the sorts of categories you describe
11 here.
12
13 Sure, the folks involved might go telling everybody they know that
14 they're being persecuted for whatever. Since Gentoo does not disclose
15 why people are asked to leave, there is really nothing to contradict
16 their side of the story. That is frustrating, but I don't think we
17 really have any reasonable alternatives.
18
19 > Why is comrel necessary? Do we not have policy documents outlining the
20 > consequences of violating the CoC?
21
22 This is like saying why do we need a kernel project when we have
23 documents explaining how the kernel gets maintained.
24
25 Comrel is the body that actually administers enforcement of the CoC.
28 > Removing comrel can reduce legal liability in that there _is_ no
29 > investigative team involved, no slander or libel to worry about.
30
31 When somebody goes doing "commit wars, spam or harassment in
32 IRC/forums, etc" how would you propose dealing with those problems
33 without having some sort of investigative team?
34
35 > Then
36 > there's the added bonus of those devs gaining free time to do things
37 > that they enjoy rather than listen to greivances and being expected to
38 > please two or more parties.
39
40 They're volunteers. They're not forced to do anything. Volunteer
41 resources generally aren't fungible. If the Council said that MIPS is
42 a waste of time and the MIPS team is disbanded it isn't like they'd
43 just start spending the time they spend on MIPS on other Gentoo
44 projects. They might leave Gentoo entirely, or work on something
45 completely different. If having a MIPS team were actively harmful to
46 Gentoo it might still be the right call, but that is of course not the
47 case.
48
49 > Large problems can be pushed to the
50 > council, as they are already elected officials who are expected to make
51 > impactful decisions on Gentoo.
52
53 The way it works is that large problems get pushed to Comrel, and if
54 the people involved are dissatisfied with the results they can appeal
55 to Council.
56
57 I don't have a problem with Council handling Comrel the way it handles
58 QA. I don't think it will improve things if the Council takes over
59 the role of Comrel entirely. The Council is a governance body for
60 just about everything in the distro, it isn't staffed to run
61 everything directly. If you let the Council delegate, then fine, but
62 now we basically are back to Comrel.
63
64 And in the end any really big decision that Comrel makes ultimately
65 makes its way through the Council if the person impacted thinks that
66 they're likely to disagree with Comrel.
67
68 > If an issue is not big or impactful
69 > enough to bring to the council, then the parties involved need to
70 > solve their conflict in other, hopefully more constructive ways.
71
72 That is already what they're supposed to do before bringing it to
73 Comrel. From the few appeals I've seen that usually does tend to
74 happen to some degree, but if you're the victim of harassment and
75 somebody doesn't stop when politely asked to stop, then I don't think
76 we can expect much to come out of that.
77
78 > Third
79 > party platforms already have their own guidelines, so if someone is
80 > dissatisfied with Gentoo's action (or inaction), they can go to the
81 > platform moderators and we (Gentoo) don't need to be involved.
82
83 And what if the platform moderator doesn't do anything, and somebody
84 is the victim of harassment on a medium that bears our name and logo?
85 What happens when people start branding Gentoo with the sorts of bad
86 behavior that is occurring on that third party site?
87
88 And if you continue to do nothing, then good luck ever stopping
89 anybody who sets up an "Official Gentoo Website" or whatever with our
90 logo on it, because they'll just point to the various other third
91 party sites where we fail to take action, and a court can decide that
92 we've failed to protect our trademark and the Gentoo name is worthless
93 legally. Then somebody gets upset and sues the Trustees for failure
94 to carry out their fiduciary duties and spoliation of assets.
97 > tldr: we should treat social disputes the same way we treat upstream
98 > software: modify it only when Gentoo functionality depends on it.
101 Well sure, and that is why people get to appeal to the Council. I
102 can't think of any Council members who have been supportive of
103 significant Comrel actions when somebody hasn't done something
104 seriously wrong. Now, I can't say who that sort of action has been
105 taken against, or what they've actually done seriously wrong, and I
106 get that this is going to make people suspicious. I just can't think
107 of a way to do that without creating liability both for Gentoo and
108 myself.
109
110 There has been talk of reviving the Proctors to deal with more minor
111 stuff, basically empowering forum mods, IRC ops, and so on.
114 Rich