From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Representation of Gentoo on third-party platforms
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2016 07:08:42
1 (Warning: wall of text)
2
3 On 11/07/2016 04:20 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > On Mon, Nov 7, 2016 at 2:43 AM, Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
5 >>
6 >> Gentoo is ultimately better off if it takes its stance of
7 >> non-involvement more seriously and butts out of any disputes until
8 >> they affect Gentoo itself, i.e. commit wars, spam or harassment in
9 >> IRC/forums, etc.
10 >
11 > As far as I can tell that is basically the status quo. About the only
12 > times I've seen Comrel doing anything is when it involves fairly
13 > serious issues that fall into the sorts of categories you describe
14 > here.
15 >
16 > Sure, the folks involved might go telling everybody they know that
17 > they're being persecuted for whatever. Since Gentoo does not disclose
18 > why people are asked to leave, there is really nothing to contradict
19 > their side of the story. That is frustrating, but I don't think we
20 > really have any reasonable alternatives.
21
22 A group whose sole purpose is to mediate disputes and makes the business
23 of others its business is, to me, the exact opposite of staying out of
24 disputes and letting adults be adults.
25
26 >> Why is comrel necessary? Do we not have policy documents outlining the
27 >> consequences of violating the CoC?
28 >
29 > This is like saying why do we need a kernel project when we have
30 > documents explaining how the kernel gets maintained.
31 >
32 > Comrel is the body that actually administers enforcement of the CoC.
33
34 And how do they enforce that? Somebody has to have access to infra,
35 forums, mailing lists, etc. Does comrel have its hands in that many
36 cookie jars? If so, something is very wrong with that picture. The most
37 powerful groups in Gentoo are given their power on the condition that they
38 meet re-election and are accountable to what amounts to constituents
39 (devs and/or foundation members). Trustees are voted on, Council is
40 voted on. Ignoring the metastructure revisiting that we've seen in other
41 threads, frankly comrel doesn't deserve that much power when there is
42 already staff who can (and already does) do comrel's job. They interact
43 directly with problem users/devs and "hold'er steady". Their job is
44 mostly transparent and thankless, but they already handle it.
45
46 Having people wearing both hats is also dangerous, as it creates a
47 chilling effect on anyone on the business end of comrel. If 2 or 3
48 members of Comrel are also Councilors, one of two things happens: those
49 people sit out of appeals (making the remaining council votes more
50 powerful than usual) or they double down on their decision and create a
51 stacked deck. Neither outcome is ideal or impartial. If you or someone
52 else were on the business end of such decisions, would you take an
53 honest shot at an appeal, knowing that a few of the same people who made
54 the initial decision were overseeing its appeal? To me, that's a red
55 flag for corruption, and some may consider that grounds to petition the
56 Foundation for a recall. In my searching, I didn't see a time where that
57 happened. I hope nothing comes to a head like that.
58
59 >> Removing comrel can reduce legal liability in that there _is_ no
60 >> investigative team involved, no slander or libel to worry about.
61 >
62 > When somebody goes doing "commit wars, spam or harassment in
63 > IRC/forums, etc" how would you propose dealing with those problems
64 > without having some sort of investigative team?
65
66 That honestly depends on the incident. Disrupting discussion or support
67 in an official Gentoo channel on IRC is often handled by ops with
68 warnings, kicks, and if it's bad enough, temporary bans. Comrel's not
69 even involved with that unless it chooses to be.
70
71 Commit wars are trivial to mediate, and git does a great job of
72 creating a "paper trail". We have policies to point to. We can enact
73 similar consequences, or require peer review for X amount of time. No
74 investigation is needed because it's public.
75
76 The forums are basically identical to IRC; someone screws up, the
77 software has means to deal with things, and admins have access to PMs,
78 logs, etc without any need to formally investigate and make a scene.
79
80 >> Then
81 >> there's the added bonus of those devs gaining free time to do things
82 >> that they enjoy rather than listen to greivances and being expected to
83 >> please two or more parties.
84 >
85 > They're volunteers. They're not forced to do anything. Volunteer
86 > resources generally aren't fungible. If the Council said that MIPS is
87 > a waste of time and the MIPS team is disbanded it isn't like they'd
88 > just start spending the time they spend on MIPS on other Gentoo
89 > projects. They might leave Gentoo entirely, or work on something
90 > completely different. If having a MIPS team were actively harmful to
91 > Gentoo it might still be the right call, but that is of course not the
92 > case.
93
94 Are you saying there are people within Gentoo that volunteer to get in
95 other peoples' business and might leave Gentoo if they were removed from
96 that role? Do we really want a culture of nosiness? You're right in that
97 we're all volunteers, but perhaps we should stop for a moment and
98 consider whether we *want* that sort of volunteer. We're strapped for
99 manpower, sure, but not for that sort of thing. We need package
100 maintainers, arch testers, recruiters, and mentors; not overseers.
101
102 >> Large problems can be pushed to the
103 >> council, as they are already elected officials who are expected to make
104 >> impactful decisions on Gentoo.
105 >
106 > The way it works is that large problems get pushed to Comrel, and if
107 > the people involved are dissatisfied with the results they can appeal
108 > to Council.
109 >
110 > I don't have a problem with Council handling Comrel the way it handles
111 > QA. I don't think it will improve things if the Council takes over
112 > the role of Comrel entirely. The Council is a governance body for
113 > just about everything in the distro, it isn't staffed to run
114 > everything directly. If you let the Council delegate, then fine, but
115 > now we basically are back to Comrel.
116 >
117 > And in the end any really big decision that Comrel makes ultimately
118 > makes its way through the Council if the person impacted thinks that
119 > they're likely to disagree with Comrel.
120
121 As I mentioned a few quotes up, the system does not work as intended if
122 there is co-membership between Council and Comrel, because it blurs the
123 lines between the two. If one group is beholden to the other, and there
124 are people who wear both hats, then clearly more influence lies with
125 those individuals than either of the groups separately. It may not be
126 outright corruption on paper, but the fact that it allows it to begin
127 with is what I'd consider a bug or loophole. We generally patch that
128 sort of stuff out.
129
130 >> If an issue is not big or impactful
131 >> enough to bring to the council, then the parties involved need to
132 >> solve their conflict in other, hopefully more constructive ways.
133 >
134 > That is already what they're supposed to do before bringing it to
135 > Comrel. From the few appeals I've seen that usually does tend to
136 > happen to some degree, but if you're the victim of harassment and
137 > somebody doesn't stop when politely asked to stop, then I don't think
138 > we can expect much to come out of that.
139
140 A fair point. Sometimes people just don't get along. Those are the edge
141 cases where someone is actually being a social threat to Gentoo. To
142 bring up my upstream metaphor again, we should tweak that only to the
143 extent that it protects Gentoo. Of the incidents that Comrel has become
144 involved in, how many were actually warranted? Has that information
145 even been shared with you? Those are rhetorical questions, as I know
146 policy dictates (at this time, anyway) it's kept quiet. I'd wager the
147 involvement has been more than what should have been, and the
148 organizational failure to audit that is telling.
149
150 >> Third
151 >> party platforms already have their own guidelines, so if someone is
152 >> dissatisfied with Gentoo's action (or inaction), they can go to the
153 >> platform moderators and we (Gentoo) don't need to be involved.
154 >
155 > And what if the platform moderator doesn't do anything, and somebody
156 > is the victim of harassment on a medium that bears our name and logo?
157 > What happens when people start branding Gentoo with the sorts of bad
158 > behavior that is occurring on that third party site?
159
160 That's not the Council's concern. Things having to do with trademarks
161 are meant to be handled by the Trustees. The platform is notified with
162 the trademark notice, and they have the choice to act on it or face
163 legal action. Most platforms won't give it a second thought and will
164 have the logo removed without hesitation. "Gentoo" is a species of
165 animal and has uses in other industries, so the removal of the logo is
166 likely enough to remove legal liability. I'm not a lawyer, but it holds
167 up to logic imo.
168
169 > And if you continue to do nothing, then good luck ever stopping
170 > anybody who sets up an "Official Gentoo Website" or whatever with our
171 > logo on it, because they'll just point to the various other third
172 > party sites where we fail to take action, and a court can decide that
173 > we've failed to protect our trademark and the Gentoo name is worthless
174 > legally. Then somebody gets upset and sues the Trustees for failure
175 > to carry out their fiduciary duties and spoliation of assets.
176
177 Right. But again, the council doesn't handle that sort of stuff. As
178 a councilor, you're obviously free to alert the trustees (like the
179 rest of us), but ultimately a councilor worries about mostly technical
180 or organizational things. I'm aware I suggested the Council handle
181 social disputes, but when it reaches the point of the Council, there
182 should be evidence of harm against Gentoo; so clear that it doesn't need
183 investigation. Without that sort of undeniable evidence, no group in
184 Gentoo has business doling out punishments or bans.
187 >> tldr: we should treat social disputes the same way we treat upstream
188 >> software: modify it only when Gentoo functionality depends on it.
191 > Well sure, and that is why people get to appeal to the Council. I
192 > can't think of any Council members who have been supportive of
193 > significant Comrel actions when somebody hasn't done something
194 > seriously wrong. Now, I can't say who that sort of action has been
195 > taken against, or what they've actually done seriously wrong, and I
196 > get that this is going to make people suspicious. I just can't think
197 > of a way to do that without creating liability both for Gentoo and
198 > myself.
199 >
200 > There has been talk of reviving the Proctors to deal with more minor
201 > stuff, basically empowering forum mods, IRC ops, and so on.
202 >
203 IRC ops and forum members should be part of Staff, if they aren't
204 already. Again, we do not need a group of people whose sole purpose
205 is to get into peoples' business. As developers, we're all partly
206 responsible for Gentoo and are expected to act in its interests where
207 relevant. If a dispute is not negatively affecting Gentoo, why do we
208 need to get involved?
211 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
212 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
213 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6