From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Representation of Gentoo on third-party platforms
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2016 14:51:13
1 On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 2:08 AM, Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 11/07/2016 04:20 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >
4 > A group whose sole purpose is to mediate disputes and makes the business
5 > of others its business is, to me, the exact opposite of staying out of
6 > disputes and letting adults be adults.
7
8 They moderate disputes when possible because it is preferable to just
9 booting people every time they do something wrong. Obviously it is
10 preferable if people can work out issues on their own.
13 >> Comrel is the body that actually administers enforcement of the CoC.
14 >
15 > And how do they enforce that? Somebody has to have access to infra,
16 > forums, mailing lists, etc. Does comrel have its hands in that many
17 > cookie jars?
18
19 No. They gather logs and such from whoever witnessed the activity.
20 If there is enforcement they file a bug with infra the same as anybody
21 else.
22
23 > Having people wearing both hats is also dangerous, as it creates a
24 > chilling effect on anyone on the business end of comrel. If 2 or 3
25 > members of Comrel are also Councilors, one of two things happens...
26
27 So, which is it? Do you want two independent groups (necessitating
28 the existance of something like Comrel), or do you want just one group
29 (just the Council, which was your original proposal)?
30
31 If the Council is the only one hearing disputes then there simply
32 wouldn't be any appeals. And the folks current who are in both bodies
33 would be part of that.
34
35 I don't see how adding two layers, even with some overlap, is less
36 independence than having only one.
37
38 > To me, that's a red
39 > flag for corruption, and some may consider that grounds to petition the
40 > Foundation for a recall. In my searching, I didn't see a time where that
41 > happened. I hope nothing comes to a head like that.
42
43 You do realize that you're stuck with the same dilemma. At some point
44 the final decision has to be made by somebody.
45
46 Right now CoC enforcement falls on the Council, so people elect
47 representatives to the Council who they trust to handle these matters.
48 You could change the CoC enforcement so that it falls on the Trustees,
49 but then you're probably going to see the same sorts of people elected
50 as Trustees instead.
51
52 >>> Removing comrel can reduce legal liability in that there _is_ no
53 >>> investigative team involved, no slander or libel to worry about.
54 >>
55 >> When somebody goes doing "commit wars, spam or harassment in
56 >> IRC/forums, etc" how would you propose dealing with those problems
57 >> without having some sort of investigative team?
58 >
59 > That honestly depends on the incident. Disrupting discussion or support
60 > in an official Gentoo channel on IRC is often handled by ops with
61 > warnings, kicks, and if it's bad enough, temporary bans. Comrel's not
62 > even involved with that unless it chooses to be.
63
64 Sure, when an op isn't part of the problem. And I think everybody
65 favors having simple moderation when problems aren't severe, and that
66 already largely works today. Comrel is generally for more serious
67 problems, such as people causing trouble over multiple types of media,
68 or in places where there are no ops, or when an op is involved, or
69 when an op isn't resolving the situation, and so on.
70
71 >>> Then
72 >>> there's the added bonus of those devs gaining free time to do things
73 >>> that they enjoy rather than listen to greivances and being expected to
74 >>> please two or more parties.
75 >>
76 >> They're volunteers. They're not forced to do anything. Volunteer
77 >> resources generally aren't fungible. If the Council said that MIPS is
78 >> a waste of time and the MIPS team is disbanded it isn't like they'd
79 >> just start spending the time they spend on MIPS on other Gentoo
80 >> projects. They might leave Gentoo entirely, or work on something
81 >> completely different. If having a MIPS team were actively harmful to
82 >> Gentoo it might still be the right call, but that is of course not the
83 >> case.
84 >
85 > Are you saying there are people within Gentoo that volunteer to get in
86 > other peoples' business and might leave Gentoo if they were removed from
87 > that role?
88
89 No.
90
91 > As I mentioned a few quotes up, the system does not work as intended if
92 > there is co-membership between Council and Comrel, because it blurs the
93 > lines between the two.
94
95 I thought you didn't want Comrel, so the co-membership would
96 effectively be 100% since Council would become Comrel.
97
98 > A fair point. Sometimes people just don't get along. Those are the edge
99 > cases where someone is actually being a social threat to Gentoo. To
100 > bring up my upstream metaphor again, we should tweak that only to the
101 > extent that it protects Gentoo. Of the incidents that Comrel has become
102 > involved in, how many were actually warranted? Has that information
103 > even been shared with you? Those are rhetorical questions, as I know
104 > policy dictates (at this time, anyway) it's kept quiet. I'd wager the
105 > involvement has been more than what should have been, and the
106 > organizational failure to audit that is telling.
107
108 Actually, it isn't kept quiet at all, since Comrel posted the stats
109 recently in a different thread (and I certainly support creating some
110 kind of mechanism to report on this periodically):
111 https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-project/message/34090670cb7a19f80cb4d301da6de406
112
113 And the same email basically expresses that Comrel DOESN'T want to get
114 involved in minor stuff, which is basically what you're arguing for.
115
116 If the sky were falling I suspect we'd see more appeals, or at least
117 complaints to Council. There have been very few of either, and as far
118 as I can tell all the email churn on this list was mostly triggered by
119 one or two recent events (one of which the Council reviewed and
120 upheld, and the other has not been appealed).
121
122 >>> Third
123 >>> party platforms already have their own guidelines, so if someone is
124 >>> dissatisfied with Gentoo's action (or inaction), they can go to the
125 >>> platform moderators and we (Gentoo) don't need to be involved.
126 >>
127 >> And what if the platform moderator doesn't do anything, and somebody
128 >> is the victim of harassment on a medium that bears our name and logo?
129 >> What happens when people start branding Gentoo with the sorts of bad
130 >> behavior that is occurring on that third party site?
131 >
132 > That's not the Council's concern. Things having to do with trademarks
133 > are meant to be handled by the Trustees.
134
135 I never said this was solely a Council concern. The council enforces
136 the CoC, the Trustees manage the trademarks, and the current policy
137 requires that sites using the Gentoo name abide by the CoC. That is
138 the policy that was recently approved by the Trustees, and I think it
139 is the right policy. Surely as a member of the Foundation I can
140 express an opinion on this matter (everything I post in these emails
141 is nothing but my personal opinion unless otherwise stated)? The fact
142 that I'm on the Council doesn't mean that I can't advocate for the
143 right approach for our trademarks.
144
145 > "Gentoo" is a species of
146 > animal and has uses in other industries, so the removal of the logo is
147 > likely enough to remove legal liability. I'm not a lawyer, but it holds
148 > up to logic imo.
149
150 As long as they are focused on talking about animals, and not our
151 distro or even linux in general, sure. There is a reason that
152 trademarks apply to names and not just logos.
153
154 > Right. But again, the council doesn't handle that sort of stuff. As
155 > a councilor, you're obviously free to alert the trustees (like the
156 > rest of us), but ultimately a councilor worries about mostly technical
157 > or organizational things.
158
159 The code of conduct is certainly in scope for the Council. And I have
160 as much right to advocate for how our Foundation policies ought to
161 work as you.
162
163 > I'm aware I suggested the Council handle
164 > social disputes, but when it reaches the point of the Council, there
165 > should be evidence of harm against Gentoo; so clear that it doesn't need
166 > investigation. Without that sort of undeniable evidence, no group in
167 > Gentoo has business doling out punishments or bans.
168
169 Merely asking the person bringing a complaint to send a copy of their
170 IRC log or link to a list archive or whatever is "investigation." It
171 isn't like we lock people in a room and shine a light on them. Before
172 anybody takes some kind of serious action they should reach out and
173 try to gather all the relevant evidence, and make sure they're hearing
174 from all sides. That's an investigation.
175
176 I doubt anybody is going to waste their time doing anything if there
177 isn't some kind of evidence presented up-front that something bad
178 happened.
181 > IRC ops and forum members should be part of Staff, if they aren't
182 > already. Again, we do not need a group of people whose sole purpose
183 > is to get into peoples' business. As developers, we're all partly
184 > responsible for Gentoo and are expected to act in its interests where
185 > relevant.
186
187 Well, the general idea behind the original proctors was that they'd
188 largely be formed of people like IRC ops and forum moderators, and of
189 course the original target was areas where there was no moderation
190 such as mailing lists.
191
192 > If a dispute is not negatively affecting Gentoo, why do we
193 > need to get involved?
194
195 We don't. I only advocate taking action when things negatively impact
196 Gentoo. However, patterns of CoC violations do have a negative
197 impact, because it makes people want to avoid contributing.
198
199 Overall things have gotten better than they used to be. But,
200 sometimes there are issues that need to be dealt with, and I generally
201 favor minor actions by moderators over larger actions like when Comrel
202 gets involved.
205 Rich