From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Representation of Gentoo on third-party platforms
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2016 00:53:17
1 On Wednesday, November 9, 2016 9:51:06 AM EST Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 2:08 AM, Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
3 > > On 11/07/2016 04:20 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > >
5 > > A group whose sole purpose is to mediate disputes and makes the business
6 > > of others its business is, to me, the exact opposite of staying out of
7 > > disputes and letting adults be adults.
8 >
9 > They moderate disputes when possible because it is preferable to just
10 > booting people every time they do something wrong. Obviously it is
11 > preferable if people can work out issues on their own.
12
13 By moderation you mean penalization, in the form of some censorship as people
14 are restricted from various things, be in IRC channel, mailing list, etc.
15
16 I have factually pointed out time and time again that Comrel never follows
17 their own procedures and jumps immediately to penalization rather than any
18 warning or attempt to resolve/mediate.
19
20 Which as I have stated, one should not have to appeal and entity not following
21 procedures. If an entity is not following procedures, another should be taking
22 action to correct that. If there was any oversight others would be aware. At
23 this time they are only aware during an appeal. Which appeals seem very few
24 and far between for a variety of reasons.
25
26 If Council delegated authority to Comrel, and Comrel is not following
27 procedures. Council should act on their own to ensure Comrel follows
28 procedures. Not requiring people to appeal, because Council passed on blind
29 authority and autonomy.
32 William L. Thomson Jr.