From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Questions for Candidates (was: Questioning/Interviewing council nominees)
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 21:01:30
1 On 23:28 Sun 23 Jun , hasufell wrote:
2 > @dberkholz
3 >
4 > - From your manifesto:
5 >
6 > > I continue to believe that technical advances are, and should be,
7 > > driven by individuals. Given our volunteer culture, a council can't
8 > > force people to do things they don't want to do, but it can help
9 > > to break up disputes and roadblocks, and make global decisions when
10 > > needed.
11 >
12 > Do you think that gentoo is consistent in it's behavior?
13
14 Definitely not, since Gentoo isn't really an entity that can make
15 decisions on its own. It's a big mob of developers with a small amount
16 of structure glued on top that kicks in when the mob starts to split
17 apart.
18
19 That said, mobs tend to migrate together, and Gentoo slowly drifts in
20 various directions over time.
21
22 > Should the council step in without any1 asking them if there are
23 > changes about to happen that are a) global and b) highly controversial
24 > discussed?
25
26 If they are that controversial, why wouldn't the people who disagree
27 with the actions request that the council make a decision, either before
28 or after the fact? I have to assume the controversy was not particularly
29 important and global if nobody on either side cares enough to ask the
30 council to look into it.
33 Thanks,
34 Donnie
35