From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-core] Re: Poll: Would you sign a Contributer License Agreement?
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2018 14:56:41
1 On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 10:46 AM M. J. Everitt <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > By contrast, Gentoo is likely to have been cobbled
4 > together by a consensus of unqualified persons, and is quite unlikely to
5 > be defended in court, -should- it come to that (see recent legal case of
6 > McHardy et al).
9 If Gentoo used the Linux DCO, and Gentoo was sued in court, and the
10 Linux Foundation was not named in the suit, and the case hinged on the
11 DCO, I'm pretty skeptical that Gentoo would suddenly be flooded with
12 free legal aid from the Linux Foundation or similar organizations,
13 beyond what they'd receive if they had written their own DCO.
14
15 As far as I'm aware no DCO has much legal precedent backing it up
16 specifically, so while this could change in the future, it isn't much
17 of a factor at the present either.
18
19 Nothing wrong with having it legally reviewed, and I've yet to see
20 anybody oppose this being done. Everybody just seems to think that it
21 ought to be somebody else's job to do so. :)
24 Rich