From: Denis Dupeyron <calchan@g.o>
To: Gentoo project list <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-core] Re: Poll: Would you sign a Contributer License Agreement?
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2018 15:54:29
1 Replying to Rich's last message to reply to the thread, not to Rich
2 specifically.
3
4 I want to note here that if this comes into effect, and becomes
5 mandatory, some critical pieces of Gentoo would go unmaintained for
6 months, if not longer and possibly indefinitely, until the employer of
7 the maintainers allows them to sign whatever it is you would require.
8 I'm talking about portage and OpenRC, but there may be other examples.
9 These particular projects are maintained by developers paid by their
10 employer to work on them, and as such do much more than a loose team
11 of unpaid developers. And although they were hired to so they would
12 have to wait until the corporate legal arm of their employer approves
13 them signing your document. That's like sending a message in a bottle
14 if e.g. the employee is based in the US and lawyers in Japan (example
15 not chosen at random).
16
17 And let's not forget about the dozens of contributors who would be
18 barred from doing all the awesome stuff they do everyday across the
19 entire tree.
20
21 Finally, think of the deterrent effect to potential new contributors.
22 It's not like we get a ton of candidates these days, and like we have
23 the slightest clue about recruiting them. There's a significant chance
24 that adding such a legal barrier would end up slowly strangling Gentoo
25 to death.