From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-core] Re: Poll: Would you sign a Contributer License Agreement?
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2018 16:51:01
1 On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 11:53 AM Denis Dupeyron <calchan@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > I want to note here that if this comes into effect, and becomes
4 > mandatory, some critical pieces of Gentoo would go unmaintained for
5 > months, if not longer and possibly indefinitely, until the employer of
6 > the maintainers allows them to sign whatever it is you would require.
7
8 Just to get you to elaborate a bit more: is this a concern with the
9 Gentoo DCO in particular, or any requirement to sign off on anything?
10
11 It is probably worth nothing that the DCO (either upstream's or
12 Gentoo's) is just an affirmation of compliance. It doesn't actually
13 have any binding statements on the signer. You aren't signing away
14 any rights or accepting any restrictions, and it doesn't constitute a
15 contract as far as I can tell. It is merely a statement of fact about
16 a commit.
17
18 That said, part of me does wonder as such whether we're just as
19 covered by a policy that requires all commits be redistributable,
20 training all developers in it, and leaving it at that. That would
21 basically be the status quo, and I don't think anybody is going to
22 object to a policy that says only stuff we can legally distribute goes
23 in the repos. That really isn't any more restrictive than our general
24 social contract.
25
26 Ultimately this is all just reasonable care. Somebody can add a
27 signed-off-by without reading the DCO just as they can do a commit
28 without reading our policy on what is allowed to be committed. Is the
29 one standard truly any more defensible than the other?
32 Rich