From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: Denis Dupeyron <calchan@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-core] Re: Poll: Would you sign a Contributer License Agreement?
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2018 23:56:06
1 Am Montag, 25. Juni 2018, 17:53:48 CEST schrieb Denis Dupeyron:
2 >
3 > I want to note here that if this comes into effect, and becomes
4 > mandatory, some critical pieces of Gentoo would go unmaintained for
5 > months, if not longer and possibly indefinitely, until the employer of
6 > the maintainers allows them to sign whatever it is you would require.
7
8 Well, we need to agree ourselves on what we want first. That's what is
9 happening now. Before the procedure and the text are not finalized, nobody can
10 even start requesting agreement e.g. from employers.
11
12 Then, once that is completed, people can take whatever steps necessary.
13 And later, at some point, we can make the Signed-Off-By mandatory.
14
15 So no need to make anyone panic that the flood is coming right now. (It's
16 gonna come, but you'll have time to build an ark. Or vehemently argue that
17 water doesn't exist.)
18
19 That said, I'm not sure if you have understood the principle of the DCO
20 correctly. In my personal interpretation (yes IANAL),
21
22 *If* your employer explicitly allows you to contribute to Gentoo, say, under
23 the GPL2, then nothing keeps you from adding the Signed-Off-By header with
24 git. (*) With the header you certify via the DCO that you are legally able to
25 contribute the code under the GPL, which is precisely what your employer
26 allowed you to do.
27
28 (*) for both Kernel and Gentoo DCO
31 Andreas K. Hüttel
32 dilfridge@g.o
33 Gentoo Linux developer
34 (council, toolchain, perl, libreoffice, comrel)