From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Require OpenPGP signatures from existing devs on new developer applications?
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 07:12:25
1 On 01/05/2017 11:03 AM, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
2 > On Thursday, January 5, 2017 1:04:49 PM EST Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Do you think that RedHat would be willing to give somebody an
5 >> @redhat.com email address if they haven't in any way gone through the
6 >> RedHat new employee onboarding process?
7 >
8 > Most companies have like Employee Handbooks or other policies they are not
9 > quizzed or tested on but must adhere to. If they are hiring a programmer, they
10 > may test them on programming skills. But I highly doubt most companies make
11 > employees learn the organization, take tests/quizzes on the organization,
12 > conflict resolution etc.
13 >
14 > Speaking of RedHat, check this out. All they have to do is sign and
15 > acknowledge not be tested, etc.
16 >
17 > https://investors.redhat.com/~/media/Files/R/Red-Hat-IR/governance-docs/code-of-business-conduct-and-ethics.pdf
20 I'm generally in favor of streamlining things, but we need to look
21 beyond. Let's say we lower the barrier, no quizzes. A good conversation
22 about Gentoo, exchange some keys, they get sent a document, they sign
23 their name and encrypt it, bam they're a Gentoo dev in less than a week.
24
25 All goes well until "oops, this new guy pushed an ebuild without an
26 EAPI" or "the new guy didn't update the keywords for the version bump so
27 now it's considered stable and shouldn't", or "the new guy didn't run
28 repoman and now their metadata.xml doesn't adhere to the schema".
29
30 The quizzes serve as a) notes for future reference, and b) proves that
31 an individual is willing to research to solve their problem. You're not
32 expected to know the answers to the quizzes when you first take them.
33 The process of research exposes you to more information about Gentoo's
34 inner workings, including the PMS, which is a valuable resource whenever
35 you come across a weird aspect of ebuilds.
36
37 That's why we try to keep information in the devmanual up to date. It's
38 our best reference to the practices within Gentoo.
39
40 Introducing new developers that may not even know about repoman is a QA
41 disaster. We need to, one way or another, verify that the person up for
42 devship is competent enough to not break the things they touch. I think
43 that's a fair requirement, and honestly I felt that going through my
44 quizzes was more educational than the 3 years of casual Gentoo use that
45 I went through before that time.
46
47 There's a middle-ground somewhere between "everyone's free to join and
48 do whatever" and "only the most elite can tread here".
51 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
52 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
53 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6