From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Require OpenPGP signatures from existing devs on new developer applications?
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 11:45:00
1 On 10/01/2017 08:12, Daniel Campbell wrote:
2 > All goes well until "oops, this new guy pushed an ebuild without an
3 > EAPI" or "the new guy didn't update the keywords for the version bump so
4 > now it's considered stable and shouldn't", or "the new guy didn't run
5 > repoman and now their metadata.xml doesn't adhere to the schema".
6
7 I'd expect that to be covered by a number of non-trivial PRs.
8
9 Similarly, this is something I'd be looking for when deciding whether to
10 support someone's nomination for developer. If the evidence is not
11 conclusive, I'd ask for more nontrivial changes, or maybe the quiz.
12
13 > The quizzes serve as a) notes for future reference, and b) proves that
14 > an individual is willing to research to solve their problem. You're not
15 > expected to know the answers to the quizzes when you first take them.
16 > The process of research exposes you to more information about Gentoo's
17 > inner workings, including the PMS, which is a valuable resource whenever
18 > you come across a weird aspect of ebuilds.
19
20 Right, the quiz question often cover some corner/tricky cases which one
21 might not otherwise encounter.
22
23 Even devs after quiz make mistakes though, and it's not obvious when we
24 reach a point of diminishing returns, where it'd be easier to quickly
25 fix an occasional minor mistake, and have more contributions overall,
26 than deal with under-staffing issues which also have consequences in
27 some bugs not being solved at all.
28
29 Paweł