From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Trying to become a Gentoo Developer again spanning 8 years...
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2016 22:12:22
1 On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 5:52 PM, William L. Thomson Jr.
2 <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > Comrel could do something that causes legal action on the Foundation the
5 > Trustees would have to deal with. Same with regard to the Council. The
6 > foundation can do NOTHING to prevent either. The Foundation has no control or
7 > influence over Comrel or Recruiting. Yet they oversee the community it is
8 > legally responsible for.
11 I'm not sure why Comrel or the Council would want to take an action
12 that could cause legal problems for the Foundation, or why the
13 Trustees would be any less likely to do the same.
14
15 I do prefer some kind of consolidated structure, but before that could
16 happen there are a lot of issues that need to be resolved:
17
18 1. How do we reconcile the differing membership of the developer and
19 Foundation communities?
20 2. If only one body is ultimately in charge, what kinds of qualities
21 do we want in its leadership? Ultimately they'd have authority over
22 both technical and financial concerns (in reality, no matter what you
23 put on paper). Does it make more sense to elect a financial board and
24 have them have oversight over the technical side? Or does it make
25 sense to have a technical board, and have them have oversight of the
26 financial side? Or do we go for both in one (which means finding
27 people who are both competent and interested in dealing with both)? I
28 think the reality is that you need both in one to some degree, since
29 all issues would ultimately fall on them.
30 3. How should the organization be structured internationally?
31 Ultimately there is one distro and when it comes to technical matters
32 I think there is not a lot of regional variation. However, when it
33 comes to legal issues I could more easily see regional issues arising.
34 We've already had some logistical challenges when there are a lot of
35 non-US-residents involved in the Foundation, since while they're
36 completely welcome as far as the community is concerned, it makes it
37 harder when banks/governments/businesses are asking for tax IDs and
38 domestic addresses such.
39
40 > It is a perverted structure no other projects have such a structure. Which is
41 > why others rise as Gentoo falls.
42
43 This is a non-sequitur.
44
45 While I do think that some kind of reform might be beneficial, I don't
46 really see it having any significant impact on where Gentoo stands in
47 the "marketplace" of distros.
48
49 I think the reality is that Gentoo works better for me today than it
50 ever has in the past. I'm certainly willing to acknowledge that there
51 are some niches where this is not the case (like Java), but I don't
52 really have your sense of doom. I don't think it is likely that a
53 distro like Gentoo will ever compete with the likes of Ubuntu (which
54 has taken over most of the casual side of the Linux space which used
55 to be split more with projects like Debian, creating more of a path
56 into the more exotic distros like Gentoo). I don't really have a
57 problem with that either, since if somebody has a problem that can be
58 solved with Ubuntu, then they might as well solve it with Ubuntu and
59 not worry about the details unless they really want to.
62 Rich