From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Trying to become a Gentoo Developer again spanning 8 years...
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2016 21:52:37
1 On Tuesday, October 4, 2016 12:45:56 AM EDT Andrew Savchenko wrote:
2 >
3 > This is called evolution, so I see no problem that Gentoo evolved
4 > into something different from what was originally planned.
5
6 Better worded as a experiment in democratic project leadership I would say
7 over all has been a tragic failure. I think the founders of Gentoo would all
8 hole heartily agree.
9
10 While to evolve things mutate to survive. That is about all Gentoo is doing,
11 surviving. It is not thriving. It is not a mainstream distro as it once was.
12 Leadership keeps a project mainstream no other factors.
13
14 > > Gentoo is some what like a 2 headed snake. Long ago used to be 3, when
15 > > infra was stronger but infra has faded some to where it is just Council
16 > > and Foundation.
17 >
18 > This is a separation of power: the legal body is separated from the
19 > technical government. And I find this really great, since Gentoo is
20 > an international community these days.
21
22 You simply do not understand. You are asking people to be a legal
23 representative for something they have no control or influence over.
24
25 Comrel could do something that causes legal action on the Foundation the
26 Trustees would have to deal with. Same with regard to the Council. The
27 foundation can do NOTHING to prevent either. The Foundation has no control or
28 influence over Comrel or Recruiting. Yet they oversee the community it is
29 legally responsible for.
30
31 It is a perverted structure no other projects have such a structure. Which is
32 why others rise as Gentoo falls. Go look around. Find any organization that
33 has the same structure as Gentoo. I never found anything close. I doubt
34 anyone else would either, but I welcome such if it exists.
37 William L. Thomson Jr.