From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Trying to become a Gentoo Developer again spanning 8 years...
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2016 21:46:06
1 On Mon, 03 Oct 2016 17:23:17 -0400 William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
2 > On Monday, October 3, 2016 10:30:11 PM EDT Paweł Hajdan, Jr. wrote:
3 > > On 03/10/16 22:03, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
4 > > > Gentoo's entire structure is not what it was intended to be. I have spoken
5 > > > to Daniel Robbins a few times about this. Things I had in mind long ago
6 > > > with changing Gentoo's structure, the foundations role, etc were more in
7 > > > line with what he had intended things to be. Though I believe most do not
8 > > > want that, likely out of ignorance and status quo, rather than not
9 > > > wanting thing to change for the good.
10 > > >
11 > > > Few projects have structure like Gentoo. Which is also in part why Gentoo
12 > > > has unique issues, though they can be similar to others. Still very
13 > > > different just the same. I spent time looking into others, FreeBSD,
14 > > > Gnome, Debian, etc.
15 > > Curious, could you elaborate more on this, or just point to archives if
16 > > you already did?
17 >
18 > It has been many years. I will see what I can scrape together. Essentially
19 > Daniel intended the Foundation to be much stronger and play a much larger role
20 > in Gentoo. Somehow it was transformed into a IP holder, legal protection, and
21 > finances. Cut off from development, no relation to council, or project as
22 > whole. With other projects, the board tends to control and influence technical
23 > direction more.
24
25 This is called evolution, so I see no problem that Gentoo evolved
26 into something different from what was originally planned.
27
28 > Gentoo is some what like a 2 headed snake. Long ago used to be 3, when infra
29 > was stronger but infra has faded some to where it is just Council and
30 > Foundation.
31
32 This is a separation of power: the legal body is separated from the
33 technical government. And I find this really great, since Gentoo is
34 an international community these days.
35
36 Best regards,
37 Andrew Savchenko