From: Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Trying to become a Gentoo Developer again spanning 8 years...
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2016 22:16:15
1 On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 2:52 PM, William L. Thomson Jr.
2 <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Tuesday, October 4, 2016 12:45:56 AM EDT Andrew Savchenko wrote:
4 >>
5 >> This is called evolution, so I see no problem that Gentoo evolved
6 >> into something different from what was originally planned.
7 >
8 > Better worded as a experiment in democratic project leadership I
9 > would say
10 > over all has been a tragic failure. I think the founders of Gentoo
11 > would all
12 > hole heartily agree.
13
14 The only comment I have right now...
15
16 What if project leads were generally left in charge to run their
17 projects as they see fit, but the gentoo developer community as a whole
18 reserved the right to recall the lead if they don't like how the
19 project is being managed?
20
21 This would help with stagnant projects or the like or projects (such as
22 the recent fight between games and council) that aren't responsive to
23 the needs of the gentoo community.
24
25 I like democracy, but who should the voters be?
26
27 > While to evolve things mutate to survive. That is about all Gentoo is
28 > doing,
29 > surviving. It is not thriving. It is not a mainstream distro as it
30 > once was.
31 > Leadership keeps a project mainstream no other factors.
32 >
33 >> > Gentoo is some what like a 2 headed snake. Long ago used to be 3,
34 >> when
35 >> > infra was stronger but infra has faded some to where it is just
36 >> Council
37 >> > and Foundation.
38 >>
39 >> This is a separation of power: the legal body is separated from the
40 >> technical government. And I find this really great, since Gentoo is
41 >> an international community these days.
42 >
43 > You simply do not understand. You are asking people to be a legal
44 > representative for something they have no control or influence over.
45 >
46 > Comrel could do something that causes legal action on the Foundation
47 > the
48 > Trustees would have to deal with. Same with regard to the Council. The
49 > foundation can do NOTHING to prevent either. The Foundation has no
50 > control or
51 > influence over Comrel or Recruiting. Yet they oversee the community
52 > it is
53 > legally responsible for.
54 >
55 > It is a perverted structure no other projects have such a structure.
56 > Which is
57 > why others rise as Gentoo falls. Go look around. Find any
58 > organization that
59 > has the same structure as Gentoo. I never found anything close. I
60 > doubt
61 > anyone else would either, but I welcome such if it exists.
62 >
63 > --
64 > William L. Thomson Jr.