From: Gregory Woodbury <redwolfe@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Trying to become a Gentoo Developer again spanning 8 years...
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2016 16:55:40
1 On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 6:16 PM, Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > The only comment I have right now...
5 >
6 > What if project leads were generally left in charge to run their projects
7 > as they see fit, but the gentoo developer community as a whole reserved the
8 > right to recall the lead if they don't like how the project is being
9 > managed?
10 >
11 > This would help with stagnant projects or the like or projects (such as
12 > the recent fight between games and council) that aren't responsive to the
13 > needs of the gentoo community.
14 >
15 > I like democracy, but who should the voters be?
18 Well, that is, to me, a large part of the problem.
19
20 The social/political structure of Gentoo is based on a status of
21 being an "accredited developer." Meaning that there are hoops to jump
22 through to prove that one has a sufficiently advanced technical
23 ability, and an ability to work within the rules. This restriction on
24 who gets a vote or not makes the situation into one of conservative
25 vs. progressive: restricted voting rights are associated with corporate
26 cultures that are inherently conservative. They are often more concerned
27 with maintaining a "status quo" than in moving forward.
28
29 This is *exactly* what and why these conversations are taking place
30 here and now.
34 G.Wolfe Woodbury
35 redwolfe@×××××.com