From: Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Trying to become a Gentoo Developer again spanning 8 years...
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2016 07:15:04
1 Yes, Gentoo is kinda democratic because the projects elect their own
2 leads.
3
4 Questions:
5
6 1. How to handle superprojects that are themselves composed of
7 subprojects and may or may not have their own non-project members?
8 Should the subprojects get to vote? If so, do we just count the votes
9 of each project's lead (probably elected bottom up), or all the
10 project's members?
11
12 2. If a project gets stagnant and "implodes into a ball of stiff stale
13 tar" through complacency, should the gentoo developer community as a
14 whole have veto power to be able to oust the lead?
15
16 I'm kinda in favor of 2, just for the sake of keeping project leads
17 accountable for making sure that the project exists to benefit gentoo
18 as a whole. And it would work for any project that goes off course
19 from the needs of the whole community...and not just "hot button"
20 projects like comrel or whatever.
21
22 IIRC we already have leads elected by the members of the project to
23 have accountability to the project and the needs of its membres, but
24 what about the accountability of the project to the gentoo community as
25 a whole?
26
27 Bosses and leads provide organization and structure and a clear path of
28 responsibility.
29
30 As for 1, I think that making a project part of another
31 project...hmm...who decides that?
32
33 On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 9:55 AM, Gregory Woodbury <redwolfe@×××××.com>