From: NP-Hardass <NP-Hardass@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: shentino@×××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Trying to become a Gentoo Developer again spanning 8 years...
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2016 07:46:01
1 On 10/06/2016 03:14 AM, Raymond Jennings wrote:
2 > Yes, Gentoo is kinda democratic because the projects elect their own leads.
3 >
4 > Questions:
5 >
6 > 1. How to handle superprojects that are themselves composed of
7 > subprojects and may or may not have their own non-project members?
8 > Should the subprojects get to vote? If so, do we just count the votes
9 > of each project's lead (probably elected bottom up), or all the
10 > project's members?
11 >
12 > 2. If a project gets stagnant and "implodes into a ball of stiff stale
13 > tar" through complacency, should the gentoo developer community as a
14 > whole have veto power to be able to oust the lead?
15 >
16 > I'm kinda in favor of 2, just for the sake of keeping project leads
17 > accountable for making sure that the project exists to benefit gentoo as
18 > a whole. And it would work for any project that goes off course from
19 > the needs of the whole community...and not just "hot button" projects
20 > like comrel or whatever.
21 >
22 > IIRC we already have leads elected by the members of the project to have
23 > accountability to the project and the needs of its membres, but what
24 > about the accountability of the project to the gentoo community as a whole?
25 >
26 > Bosses and leads provide organization and structure and a clear path of
27 > responsibility.
28 >
29 > As for 1, I think that making a project part of another
30 > project...hmm...who decides that?
31 >
32 > On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 9:55 AM, Gregory Woodbury <redwolfe@×××××.com>