From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Cc: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>, Gentoo Elections <elections@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-nfp] Gentoo Foundation: A second election
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 18:17:55
1 On Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 2:09 PM Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto
2 <jmbsvicetto@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > AFAIK, the Trustees have always argued that we should not reduce the number of members in the Board.
7 Keep in mind that the Council is something that is largely up to
8 ourselves and so if it becomes a bit dysfunctional we can always just
9 sort it out and elect a new one or reorganize.
10
11 The Foundation is a legal entity, and if there are disputes over who
12 represents it, these will end up being settled in a court of law.
13 There is also money and property at stake. We can't just all get
14 together and sort it out if something bad happens, because if somebody
15 should take legal control over the Trustees, they can with one motion
16 legally boot all the members out, and then we're all fighting it out
17 in court.
18
19 It is just best to keep a few people in the Trustee role so that the
20 risk of a majority doing something dumb is low.
21
22 There was that situation many years ago where it had dwindled down to
23 I think one person, and there was talk about bringing back drobbins as
24 a BDFL or whatever. Without getting into pros and cons I just wanted
25 to point out that legally it was just the vote of a single person that
26 mattered - the one remaining Trustee. If that person had been of the
27 mind to just do whatever they felt was best in spite of massive
28 objection, they could have done so, and the legal recourse would have
29 been so painful that it probably would be easier to just fork and
30 change the name.
31
32 Now, forking is always an option, as we recently saw with IRC
33 networks. Still, nobody wants to deal with that if they don't have
34 to, so it is best to have enough votes on the board that nobody can
35 just pull the whole thing in some direction.
38 Rich