From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Cc: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Date-of-birth in developer applications
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2018 11:09:20
1 On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 4:56 AM Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 06/20/2018 10:32 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
4 >
5 > > c. We don't even have any clue what to do if someone is *not* of 'legal
6 > > age'.
7 >
8 > They would likely require parental approval to be a gentoo dev to begin
9 > with with some FLA co-signed by parent as they can't sign DCO themselves.
10
11 Since the DCO is still a new concept, I wanted to point out that the
12 FLA and the DCO are fairly orthogonal, and signing either doesn't
13 really eliminate the need for the other.
14
15 The DCO "certifies" that the underage kid wrote the code, or verified
16 that it is legal for us to redistribute.
17
18 An FLA signed by the parent would give Gentoo the rights to use code
19 written by the underage kid, but does nothing to ensure that any
20 particular commit actually was written by the kid or obtained from a
21 legal source.
22
23 If we are going to go down that road, then you'd really want the
24 parent to sign the DCO for every commit, and to ensure the parent
25 actually understands what the DCO means.
26
27 Now, you can argue whether or not DCOs on every commit are essential
28 for reasonable care, but if they are then they really need to be
29 signed on every commit by an adult. If they aren't, well, then we
30 probably shouldn't be requiring them.
33 Rich