From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2018-12-09
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2018 21:18:43
1 On Tue, Dec 04, 2018 at 04:41:32AM +0100, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2018-12-03 at 19:16 -0500, Aaron Bauman wrote:
3 > > > On 25.11.2018 15:31, Mart Raudsepp wrote:
4 > > > > In two weeks from now, there will be a council meeting again. Now is
5 > > > > the time to raise and prepare agenda items that you want us to discuss
6 > > > > and/or vote upon.
7 > > > >
8 > > > > Please respond to this message on the gentoo-project mailing list with
9 > > > > agenda items.
10 > > > > The final agenda will be sent out on 2018-12-02, so please make sure
11 > > > > you post any agenda items before that, or we may not be able to
12 > > > > accommodate it into the next meeting.
13 > > > >
14 > > > > The meeting itself will happen on 2018-12-09 19:00 UTC [1] in the
15 > > > > #gentoo-council FreeNode IRC channel.
16 > > > >
17 > > > >
18 > > > > 1. https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20181209T19
19 > > > >
20 > > > >
21 > > > > Thanks,
22 > > > > Mart Raudsepp
23 > >
24 > > I would like to propose, once again, that the council vote on the
25 > > following items:
26 > >
27 > > 1. The council approves all architectures that are maintained as stable
28 > > architectures.
29 > > - e.g. alpha, amd64, arm, arm64, ia64, ppc, ppc64, and x86.
30 > >
31 > > Conversely, the council also may remove/drop such architectures as
32 > > needed (c.f. item 2).
33 >
34 > What happens if Council votes 'no' to this item? Do all arches become
35 > unstable?
38 Of course not, that would be silly. I suppose better wording would have
39 been something like:
40
41 "The council will begin approving the addition and removal of all
42 architectures considered stable. Upon approval of this item, all
43 current stable architectures will remain."
44
45 > Don't introduce votes for confirming status quo because they make no
46 > sense. If there's a specific change you're proposing, propose it
47 > and be specific so that people can discuss it ahead of time.
50 Ugh... status quo? I am not sure how this is status quo...
51
52 > > 2. The council approves that all stable architectures are subsequently
53 > > determined to be security supported. Thus, an architecture may not be
54 > > stable and *not* security supported. This disparity has implications in
55 > > processes and timeliness of actions taken to mitigate vulnerabilities
56 > > reported.
57 > > - e.g. amd64 is approved as stable arch and thus is security supported.
58 > > - e.g. arm is dropped as a stable arch thus is no longer security supported.
59 > >
60 > > Overall, both of these items will provide a much clearer understanding
61 > > of how security is able to proceed with mitigating vulnerabilities in
62 > > the tree, how users view and understand what architectures are stable
63 > > and security supported, and allow the security team and maintainers a
64 > > clearer/cleaner process to follow.
67 > Are you asking the Council to make a policy for security team,
68 > or to override the existing policy of security team? Because this
69 > sounds like you're implying that security team can't make up their mind.
72 Absolutely, but we have the GLEP draft in the open now. So, here we go.
73
74 > Also, if the Council votes 'yes', what happens next? Does security
75 > accept all stable arches? Do stable arches get demoted implicitly based
76 > on security project considerations?
79 Yes, we would accept all stable arches as security supported.
80
81 No, security would simply petition the council should an arch need to be
82 removed from stable.
83
84 > --
85 > Best regards,