From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: council members and appeals
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2018 00:25:41
1 On 2018.02.13 00:13, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 6:40 PM, M. J. Everitt <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
3 > wrote:
4 > > On 12/02/18 23:02, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
5 > >> Can you provide us with an example when such a scenario has
6 > happened
7 > >> in the past 12 years of council, or is the above purely
8 > hypothetical?
9 > >> Because in the latter case it is not an actual problem that needs
11 > >> be solved.
12 > >>
13 > >> It is not a game of Nomic that we're playing here, but we are
14 > trying
15 > >> to run a distro. IMHO precluding council members from participating
16 > in
17 > >> projects isn't helpful. Or do we really want a council that is
18 > sitting
19 > >> in an ivory tower, completely detached from the daily distro work?
20 > >>
21 > > Uhm, what's the difference .. the council already live in their own
22 > land
23 > > separate from most of the developers, and definitely from the user
24 > > community at large ?
25 > >
26 > > Or at least, such is the perception .. [don't shoot the messenger
27 > and
28 > > all that]
31 > Such is your perception. Most developers just cast their votes, and
32 > hence the same council members keep getting re-elected. I doubt that
33 > would happen if most developers considered them aloof, especially
34 > since the Council has always attracted a significant number of
35 > election candidates.
36 >
37 > You can't judge something like this by mailing list posts.
38 >
39 > --
40 > Rich
44 Rich,
45
46 Most developers don't cast their votes.
47 2015-16 The turnout for this election was 30.638.
48 2016-17 The turnout for this election was 37.190%
49
50 Thats from email I happen to have to hand.
51 From memory, those two data points are typical.
54 Regards,
55
56 Roy Bamford
57 (Neddyseagoon) a member of