From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: council members and appeals
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2018 00:13:43
1 On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 6:40 PM, M. J. Everitt <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
2 > On 12/02/18 23:02, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
3 >> Can you provide us with an example when such a scenario has happened
4 >> in the past 12 years of council, or is the above purely hypothetical?
5 >> Because in the latter case it is not an actual problem that needs to
6 >> be solved.
7 >>
8 >> It is not a game of Nomic that we're playing here, but we are trying
9 >> to run a distro. IMHO precluding council members from participating in
10 >> projects isn't helpful. Or do we really want a council that is sitting
11 >> in an ivory tower, completely detached from the daily distro work?
12 >>
13 > Uhm, what's the difference .. the council already live in their own land
14 > separate from most of the developers, and definitely from the user
15 > community at large ?
16 >
17 > Or at least, such is the perception .. [don't shoot the messenger and
18 > all that]
21 Such is your perception. Most developers just cast their votes, and
22 hence the same council members keep getting re-elected. I doubt that
23 would happen if most developers considered them aloof, especially
24 since the Council has always attracted a significant number of
25 election candidates.
26
27 You can't judge something like this by mailing list posts.
30 Rich