From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] call for agenda items -- council meeting 2019-04-14
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2019 20:56:21
1 On Tue, Apr 9, 2019 at 4:45 PM Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > That being said I don't intend to forge a policy that is bullet-proof. If I cannot trust fellow project members to act well, they might as well just leave the project now.
4
5 ++
6
7 Ultimately if somebody with commit access wants to create trouble
8 there are a lot of things they can do that are far more harmful than
9 using a fake name. I think we just need to be reasonable.
10
11 Usually the standard that is used in courts at least in the US is
12 reasonable care, and it has no hard definition, other than basically
13 being the amount of care a normal person would exercise to do the
14 right thing. If you want to find out whether something is or isn't
15 reasonable care the easiest way is to get sued, or sue somebody else,
16 and then after a few years you get an answer, and maybe a judgment.
17
18 I think there are probably some legal benefits to requiring a real
19 name, but personally I think there are more benefits beyond that. I
20 think it tends to create a more professional atmosphere when people
21 are conversing with "Alec Warner" and not "Boaty McBoatface" or
22 whatever. Also, having some kind of reputational risk probably does
23 help cut down on the trolling somewhat. Maybe...
24
25 If you wanted to put Gentoo on your resume would you really want a
26 potential employer to Google it and find articles by people like
27 "420forlife?" I think this sort of thing can help set the tone for
28 the community.
29
30 That's just my opinion...
33 Rich