From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Social Contract clean-up
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2018 16:52:42
1 On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 12:44 PM, Daniel Robbins <drobbins@××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 10:41 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 11:38 AM, Daniel Robbins <drobbins@××××××.org>
5 >> wrote:
6 >> >
7 >> > Sure, the Trustees have no authority over these volunteers -- as long as
8 >> > they are not operating under the Gentoo name, Gentoo infrastructure,
9 >> > Gentoo
10 >> > repos, not using the Gentoo logo, Gentoo domains, etc. They are totally
11 >> > free
12 >> > to leave the project which is run by the Trustees, and then the trustees
13 >> > have no authority over them. But as long as they are on a project called
14 >> > "Gentoo Linux", the trustees have the authority to remove assholes from
15 >> > the
16 >> > project if they so desire.
17 >> >
18 >>
19 >> I'm sorry, was this supposed to represent the pro-openness side of the
20 >> debate?
23 > I have no agenda here other than to enlighten those who don't really
24 > understand the concept of Trustees. I am not part of any debate regarding
25 > mailing lists, etc.
28 Honestly, I think this is largely moot in practice because when it
29 comes to passing actual resolutions I haven't really seen either the
30 Council or Trustees going into open conflict, and I think this is
31 unlikely. Sure, there is the strong opinion here or there, but most
32 involved are fairly reasonable when they put their voting hats on.
33
34 In any case, it is a situation I'd love to see resolved in the
35 long-term precisely because of the possibility of the sorts of
36 conflict you are bringing up here. A court would almost certainly see
37 it the way you're arguing, but with an all-volunteer effort dealing
38 with FOSS there are a lot of practical limits on what a court can do.
39 In the US at least justice costs money. And a court isn't really
40 going to do much more than bless trademark takedowns of websites
41 should those even be sought, since the most important assets the
42 Foundation owns (copyrights) are already open to a large degree with
43 our FOSS licensing.
44
45 IMO we really should embrace this as much as possible and take
46 advantage of this, by trying to minimize the stuff we do in-house
47 under the "Gentoo" umbrella and thus minimize our expenses and the
48 legal compliance issues that go along with them.
51 Rich