From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] ComRel / disciplinary action reform proposal
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2017 22:56:03
1 On 15/01/17 19:23, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hello, everyone.
3 >
4 > Since the things around ComRel seem to have cooled down a bit, I think
5 > we can now start a serious discussion on how disciplinary action
6 > handling could be improved. While the recent complaints were focused on
7 > ComRel, I would like to take a more generic approach since ComRel is
8 > not the only body in Gentoo capable of disciplinary action.
9 >
10 > Therefore, I'd like my proposal to concern all cases of disciplinary
11 > action, involving but not limited to: ComRel, QA, Forum moderators, IRC
12 > moderators, Wiki admins and any other entity capable of enforcing
13 > a disciplinary action against developers and users.
14 >
15 > Note: throughout the mail 'users' include all people involved on
16 > the Gentoo communication channels, developers, users, bystanders
17 > and bots alike.
20 > Problems
21 > --------
22 > 1. Lack of transparency (this seems to be improving but I don't think
23 > we have a proper rules for that), that causes two issues:
24 >
25 > a. Users indirectly involved in disciplinary action are unaware of it
26 > which causes unnecessary confusion. Example: user is unaware that
27 > a person is banned from Bugzilla, and incorrectly assumes that
28 > the developer or user does not wish to reply to him.
29 >
30 > b. Users presume disciplinary bodies attempt to hide their actions
31 > which unnecessary builds tension and accusations. This becomes worse
32 > when the subjects of those actions are the only sides speaking upon
33 > the matter, and spreading false information.
34 >
35 > 2. Unclear appeal procedure (outside ComRel). For example, users that
36 > get banned on IRC don't have a clear suggestion on where to appeal to
37 > a particular decision, or whether there is any appeal possible at all.
38 >
39 > 3. Lack of supervision. Likewise, most of teams capable of some degree
40 > of disciplinary action are not supervised by any other body in Gentoo,
41 > some not even indirectly.
42 >
43 > 4. Lack of cooperation. Most of disciplinary teams in Gentoo operate
44 > in complete isolation. Users affected by disciplinary actions
45 > sometimes simply switch to another channel and continue their bad
46 > behavior under another disciplinary team.
49 > In this proposal, I'd like to discuss introducing a few simple rules
50 > that would be binding to all teams capable of enforcing a disciplinary
51 > actions, and that aim to improve the current situation. My proposed
52 > rules are:
55 > 1. Secrecy
56 > ----------
57 > Due to the nature of disciplinary affairs, the teams involved
58 > in performing them are obliged to retain secrecy of the information
59 > gathered. This includes both collected material (logs, messages, etc.)
60 > and names of the individuals providing them.
61 >
62 > All the sensitive information involving disciplinary affairs can be
63 > *securely* passed only to other members of the disciplinary team
64 > involved in the affair and the current Council members, upon legitimate
65 > request. The obtained information should also be stored securely.
66 >
67 > It is only necessary for a single member of the disciplinary team to
68 > store the information (or to use a single collective store).
69 > The Council members should remove all obtained information after
70 > the appeal/audit.
71 >
72 > It should be noted that an unauthorized disclosure of sensitive
73 > information by any party involved would be a base for a strong
74 > disciplinary action.
75 >
76 > Rationale:
77 >
78 > a. The collected material sometimes contains various bits of private
79 > information whose disclosure is completely unnecessary and would only
80 > unnecessarily violate individual's privacy. Gentoo ought to respect
81 > privacy of users, and do not invade it without necessity.
82 >
83 > b. Publishing names of individuals involved in a disciplinary action
84 > could encourage the subjects to seek revenge. While keeping them secret
85 > often does not prevent it (or even worse, causes the individuals to
86 > seek revenge on larger group of people), we ought not to encourage
87 > it.
90 > 2. Transparency
91 > ---------------
92 > Any disciplinary action should be announced by the team in a manner
93 > specific to the appropriate media where the measure applies.
94 > The announcement should be visible to all users of that media,
95 > and contains:
96 >
97 > - the name of the user to whom the measure applies,
98 >
99 > - the description and length of the measure applied.
100 >
101 > For example, a ban on a mailing list could be announced to the mailing
102 > list in question. A ban on Bugzilla could involve adding appropriate
103 > note to the user's name, so that all other users see that he can't
104 > respond at the time. A ban on IRC could be stored e.g. on wiki page,
105 > or noted on a bug.
106 >
107 > Furthermore, any disciplinary action must be reported to the Council.
108 > The reporting is done through a bug that is opened at the first
109 > disciplinary measure inflicted on a user, and reused at any following
110 > measures. It should contain the information listed above, and have
111 > the Council in CC. No private information should be ever included
112 > in the bug.
113 >
114 > Rationale:
115 >
116 > a. As noted above, the disciplinary measure often affect more users
117 > than the subject of the action. It is therefore most advisable to
118 > notice them of the action (i.e. that they can't expect the particular
119 > user to reply) and their length, while protecting as much privacy as
120 > possible.
121 >
122 > b. It is also beneficial for the subject of the action to have
123 > a publicly visible note of the measure applied, and clear statement of
124 > its length.
125 >
126 > c. Opening bugs for all disciplinary actions helps teams keep track of
127 > them and their durations, note repeated offenders and finally report
128 > all actions to the Council for auditing purposes.
131 > 3. Appeal
132 > ---------
133 > All disciplinary decisions (both actions and refusals to perform
134 > action) can be appealed to the Council. In this case, the disciplinary
135 > team is obliged to securely pass all material collected to the Council.
136 > The Council can either support, modify or dismiss the decision
137 > entirely. There is no further appeal.
138 >
139 > It should be noted that the disciplinary actions must not prevent
140 > the appeal from being filed.
141 >
142 > Rationale:
143 >
144 > a. Having a single body to handle all appeals makes the procedures
145 > simpler to our users and more consistent. This also guarantees that
146 > all measures can be appealed exactly once, and no channels are
147 > privileged.
148 >
149 > b. The Council is currently the highest body elected by Gentoo
150 > developers with the trust of being able to handle appeals from ComRel
151 > decisions. It seems reasonable to extend that to all disciplinary
152 > decisions in Gentoo.
155 > 4. Supervision
156 > --------------
157 > At the same time, Council is assumed to supervise all disciplinary
158 > affairs in Gentoo. As noted in 2., all decisions made are reported to
159 > the Council for auditing. Those reports combined with appeals should
160 > allow the Council to notice any suspicious behavior from particular
161 > disciplinary teams.
162 >
163 > For the necessity of audit, the disciplinary teams should retain all
164 > material supporting their disciplinary audit in a secure manner,
165 > throughout the time of the disciplinary action and at least half a year
166 > past it. The Council can request all this information to audit
167 > the behavior of a particular team and/or its member.
168 >
169 > Rationale:
170 >
171 > a. Having a proper auditing procedure in place is necessary to improve
172 > the trust our users put in our disciplinary teams. It should discourage
173 > any members of our disciplinary teams from attempting to abuse their
174 > privileges, and help discover that quickly if it actually happens.
175 >
176 > b. The necessity of storing information supporting disciplinary
177 > decisions is helpful both for the purpose of auditing as well as for
178 > (potentially late) appeals. Keeping old information is necessary to
179 > support stronger decisions made for repeat offenders.
182 > 5. Cooperation
183 > --------------
184 > While it is not strictly necessary for different disciplinary teams to
185 > cooperate, in some cases it could be useful to handle troublemakers
186 > more efficiently across different channels.
187 >
188 > Since all disciplinary actions are published, a team may notice that
189 > another team has enforced a disciplinary action on their user. This
190 > could be used as a suggestion that the user is a potential troublemaker
191 > but the team must collect the evidence of wrongdoing in their own
192 > channel before enforcing any action. It should be noted that
193 > disciplinary teams are not allowed to exchange private information.
194 >
195 > When multiple teams inflict disciplinary actions on the same user, they
196 > can request the Council to consider issuing a cross-channel Gentoo
197 > disciplinary action. In this case, the Council requests material from
198 > all involved teams (alike when auditing) and may request a consistent
199 > disciplinary action from all disciplinary teams in Gentoo.
200 >
201 > Rationale:
202 >
203 > a. Under normal circumstances, a bad behavior on one communication
204 > channel should not prevent the user from contributing on another.
205 > However, we should have a more efficient procedure to handle the case
206 > when user is a repeating troublemaker and moves from one channel to
207 > another.
208 >
209 > b. Preventing information exchange serves the purpose of protecting
210 > users' privacy. The access to sensitive information should be
211 > restricted as narrowly as possible. Disciplinary teams should perform
212 > decisions autonomously to prevent corruption of one team resulting
213 > in unnecessary actions from another.
216 > Migration
217 > ---------
218 > It would seem unreasonable to request all disciplinary teams to either
219 > report all their past decisions right now, or to lift them immediately.
220 > However, if this policy is accepted, all teams would be obliged to
221 > follow it for any further decisions.
222 >
223 > It would also be recommended for teams to appropriate update at least
224 > recent decisions or those that are brought up again (e.g. via appeal or
225 > repeat offense).
228 > What do you think?
229 >
230 I think this looks good Michal, and thank you for putting it together. A
231 clear and concise policy makes it a lot easier for people to understand
232 when they have done something wrong (possibly even unknowingly) and the
233 consequences of it. Having such a policy helps all parties involved to
234 know what is expected of them, and what should be expected at all points
235 in the process.
236
237 I commend the idea of having a more consistent policy across different
238 mediums, and some means for teams to interact and co-ordinate better. It
239 is perfectly reasonable to anticipate that actions on one medium may not
240 necessarily manifest themselves on another, and as such, any action and
241 its impact should be independently assessed.