From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Social Contract clean-up
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2018 20:53:31
1 On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 4:39 PM, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > If folks wanted change they can:
4 >
5 > 1) Join the foundation.
6 > 2) Hold a meeting of the members.
7 > 3) Pass whatever resolutions or bylaws they wanted by full member vote.
10 This is of course by design VERY difficult to do, and not at all
11 desirable. This is really a last resort if the sky is falling.
12
13 As much as I advocate change, I don't think the right approach is to
14 go in and dump some bylaws changes on the board that they don't want,
15 and make them deal with it.
16
17 > 1) Join the foundation.
18 > 2) Nominate a trustee they trust to drive their agenda (including
19 > themselves)
20 > 3) Vote for trustees on the board.
21
22 This assumes that anybody cares to do the job, and that is the problem
23 I'm trying to get at. Honestly, I don't see any practical way to do
24 it unless somebody wants to donate the cash to hire a board and a team
25 to fix things.
26
27 If your goal is to dissolve the Foundation and hand it over to an
28 umbrella org, then if you volunteer to be a Trustee the most likely
29 outcome is that not enough people of like mind will end up in that
30 position, so now you're stuck waiting a year until you can take over
31 the board. Maybe if you were super-organized about it and started in
32 a year with three open slots you could do it in one year.
33
34 Then you'd need to do a ton of work to actually clean things up, and
35 somebody who wants to get rid of the Foundation probably wouldn't
36 really want to do all that work. Heck, the people who want to keep it
37 around are struggling to do that work.
38
39 And that is my concern - I think we have a systemic problem in that we
40 basically have enough manpower working on the Foundation to sort-of
41 sustain the status quo as long as nobody looks at it too closely.
42 Actually trying to drive the Foundation into some kind of clean state
43 would take a huge amount of dedication concentrated in a short enough
44 period of time that we resolve issues faster than we create them
45 through our ongoing operations.
48 Rich