From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Social Contract clean-up
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2018 20:39:10
1 On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 4:26 PM, Daniel Robbins <drobbins@××××××.org> wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 1:40 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 2:38 PM, Daniel Robbins <drobbins@××××××.org>
6 >> wrote:
7 >> >
8 >> > No, you are misrepresenting the actual authority of Trustees. They have
9 >> > actual, real authority over the project as opposed to imagined authority
10 >> > that you seem to appeal to.
11 >> >
12 >>
13 >> They have the ability to destroy the Foundation, certainly, and cause
14 >> a lot of fuss. However, the Trustees are generally reasonable so I
15 >> don't expect this to happen.
18 > My point is this -- the organizational structure that exists, exists. It's
19 > for everyone's benefit if those who do not like the organizational
20 > structure leave the project and do their own thing, under a different
21 > organizational structure, and those that do stay, do support it as it is
22 > intended to function so that it can be the best it can be.
25 I appreciate this sentence, I feel like its the most honest sentence you've
26 sent thus far.
30 > Anyone who really isn't behind the trustees and the NFP system should
31 > leave, because that is the system we have and will continue to have. It is
32 > not appropriate to make ominous predictions of what might happen if the
33 > trustees actually exercise the authority they have absolutely every legal
34 > right -- and frankly, obligation to the members -- to do.
37 > I can tell you right now that these ominous predictions give the
38 > impression that certain developers are co-opting the normal functioning of
39 > the trustees through threats and intimidation via FUD, and that is not OK.
40 > It's politics and power games. So I would encourage you to not participate
41 > in that.
44 In running a business, sometimes decisions must be made when we don't know
45 the outcome. No one *knows* what will happen (we are not mind readers.)
46 However, when making risky decisions, its important to consider the
47 ramifications of said decisions. Sure, the outcome is not known; but its
48 *likely* that, based on conversations I have had with individual
49 contributors, that a significant number of contributors would leave if this
50 happened. Saying we should not take that into consideration while making
51 decisions is not a reasonable thing to ask; IMHO. Its not "blackmail" or
52 "co-opting". Its a risky choice to make, and I haven't seen a board even
53 come *close* to making it.
54
55 I think the trustees in general value the "community" and "contributors"
56 more than they value other things; I suspect these are different to your
57 values (or you think that most people would stay after a re-org, and you
58 could be right!)
62 > I am not close to current trustees or council, and I have no "side" in
63 > this battle other than fighting for the proper functioning of Gentoo. I am
64 > just calling things as I see them.
67 If folks wanted change they can:
68
69 1) Join the foundation.
70 2) Hold a meeting of the members.
71 3) Pass whatever resolutions or bylaws they wanted by full member vote.
72
73 OR
74
75 1) Join the foundation.
76 2) Nominate a trustee they trust to drive their agenda (including
77 themselves)
78 3) Vote for trustees on the board.
79
80 I haven't see anyone do either (or even try) precisely because I don't
81 think its the foundation that holds all the cards here. The value isn't in
82 "Gentoo" the name, the value is in the contributors and the work they do.
83 This is *why* the council holds all the power (being the elected
84 representatives of all the contributors) and not the Foundation (regardless
85 of actual law.)
86
87 -A
90 > -Daniel