From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Social Contract clean-up
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2018 20:26:11
1 On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 1:40 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 2:38 PM, Daniel Robbins <drobbins@××××××.org>
4 > wrote:
5 > >
6 > > No, you are misrepresenting the actual authority of Trustees. They have
7 > > actual, real authority over the project as opposed to imagined authority
8 > > that you seem to appeal to.
11 > They have the ability to destroy the Foundation, certainly, and cause
12 > a lot of fuss. However, the Trustees are generally reasonable so I
13 > don't expect this to happen.
16 My point is this -- the organizational structure that exists, exists. It's
17 for everyone's benefit if those who do not like the organizational
18 structure leave the project and do their own thing, under a different
19 organizational structure, and those that do stay, do support it as it is
20 intended to function so that it can be the best it can be.
21
22 Anyone who really isn't behind the trustees and the NFP system should
23 leave, because that is the system we have and will continue to have. It is
24 not appropriate to make ominous predictions of what might happen if the
25 trustees actually exercise the authority they have absolutely every legal
26 right -- and frankly, obligation to the members -- to do.
27
28 I can tell you right now that these ominous predictions give the impression
29 that certain developers are co-opting the normal functioning of the
30 trustees through threats and intimidation via FUD, and that is not OK. It's
31 politics and power games. So I would encourage you to not participate in
32 that.
33
34 I am not close to current trustees or council, and I have no "side" in this
35 battle other than fighting for the proper functioning of Gentoo. I am just
36 calling things as I see them.
37
38 -Daniel