From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Social Contract clean-up
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2018 19:40:46
1 On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 2:38 PM, Daniel Robbins <drobbins@××××××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > No, you are misrepresenting the actual authority of Trustees. They have
4 > actual, real authority over the project as opposed to imagined authority
5 > that you seem to appeal to.
8 They have the ability to destroy the Foundation, certainly, and cause
9 a lot of fuss. However, the Trustees are generally reasonable so I
10 don't expect this to happen.
11
12 >> In the worst case Gentoo would end up changing its name and hosting.
13 >> I suspect this would only happen after considerable expense by the
14 >> Foundation to boot everybody out, assuming this even succeeded.
15 >
16 > So, in other words, if the Trustees actually tried to do their job, you
17 > would participate in a fork of the project and host it under another name.
18
19 I never said that I would do anything.
20
21 And I suggested that if there was a fork it would only be after quite
22 a bit of fighting. I imagine that people would rather dissuade the
23 Trustees and maximize the effort they're required to take before just
24 leaving willingly.
25
26 > But if you are continuing to participate in Gentoo,
27 > then you need to respect the authority of the Trustees, whether you like it
28 > or not.
29
30 I think the one thing this whole thread had made clear is that people
31 on the lists don't feel any particular need to respect any authorities
32 around here, whether they be Council/Trustees/whatever. People are
33 throwing around personal attacks and accusing people they disagree
34 with of having bad intentions. Nothing seems to happen when they do
35 so, and so they continue.
36
37 And those who seem to be most keen on seeing the Trustees end up in
38 charge of everything are also those who seem most keen to let people
39 say whatever they want to on the lists.
40
41 In any case, it seems like a silly thing to argue about. If the
42 Trustees actually did try to seize some kind of power you'd probably
43 just see the Council members run for Trustee slots instead.
44 Presumably they'd neglect the finances just as the previous Trustees
45 have, and I don't think it would be an improvement as it would mean
46 putting the finances in the hands of those least interested in them.
47 But it certainly would be preferable to having the distro run by
48 people whose jobs are so undesirable they're rarely even contested in
49 elections.
50
51 And the irony here is that as far as I'm aware I haven't personally
52 attacked any Trustees, and have been trying to bend over backwards to
53 indicate that I think the issues here are systemic. They're
54 volunteers and aren't exactly being set up for success. I get along
55 fairly well with most of them.
58 Rich