From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Social Contract clean-up
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2018 20:44:25
1 On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 4:26 PM, Daniel Robbins <drobbins@××××××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > My point is this -- the organizational structure that exists, exists. It's
4 > for everyone's benefit if those who do not like the organizational structure
5 > leave the project and do their own thing, under a different organizational
6 > structure, and those that do stay, do support it as it is intended to
7 > function so that it can be the best it can be.
8
9 What if "the best it can be" simply isn't good enough? That is the
10 concern here.
11
12 If I thought that the system that puts the board responsible for
13 finances in charge of everything else was sustainable I'd just work
14 within that system. I'd just encourage the Council to run for Trustee
15 slots and all would be well, and I'd probably have run for a Trustee
16 position last year again.
17
18 However, there are real problems with this because the
19 skills/interests of those capable of running the distro vs the
20 Foundation don't overlap well. And honestly I'm not sure anybody is
21 really capable of running the Foundation in its current state, at
22 least not who is inclined to do so or has the time to do so. That
23 isn't a knock on the Trustees - it is just pointing out that they have
24 quite a hole to dig themselves out of.
25
26 > Anyone who really isn't behind the trustees and the NFP system should leave,
27 > because that is the system we have and will continue to have.
28
29 This assumes that this is something impossible to change, and that
30 makes no sense. Other FOSS projects have restructured into
31 umbrella-based models, and there are surely other models that might
32 also work.
33
34 For all the talk of ivory towers around here the ones suggesting
35 having the Trustees be in charge seem to be ones trying to get
36 everybody who disagrees to leave. You're actually the second person
37 to suggest that I do so, though the other was not made publicly.
38
39 The Foundation has been around for quite a while. It has had MANY
40 turnovers in the Trustees. Many of them have no doubt been capable.
41 And yet in this time we've had the corporate registrations expire
42 once, a few terms with not all the slots filled, and the latest news
43 seems to be that nobody can find any evidence that anybody has filed
44 the legally-required annual tax forms (which was news to me because
45 when I was on the Trustees I'm pretty sure I had been told that they
46 were being filed).
47
48 IMO the blame is not in the Trustees themselves, but that the approach
49 just isn't a good fit for Gentoo. I don't blame those who set it up
50 either, because I don't think anybody would have realized how it would
51 have turned out in the end, and there weren't a lot of alternative
52 models back then. I think that people step into the role of Trustee
53 or Treasurer intending to get things sorted out, and then find that it
54 is a huge black hole of time demands that they just can't keep up
55 with, until they leave. Maybe they'll advance things while they're in
56 the role, but it never seems to be enough.
57
58 If we're going to stay in the NFP business then we need to come to
59 grips with the effort required and actually make it sustainable.
60 Otherwise we're just playing games with a legal entity until somebody
61 gets around to calling the whole thing into question. Granted, that
62 might never happen since we're small potatoes, but nobody can promise
63 that so it is a risk.
66 Rich