From: Nick Vinson <nvinson234@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Trying to become a Gentoo Developer again spanning 8 years...
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2016 15:13:39
1 On 10/07/2016 08:09 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 10:42 AM, Nick Vinson <nvinson234@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On 10/07/2016 04:58 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> Note that most court systems do not generally strive for independence
7 >>> between court levels. Usually lower courts are completely subject to
8 >>> the higher ones. This makes sense when you consider how appeals work.
9 >>> Imagine if a lower court and a higher court were completely in
10 >>> disagreement. Anybody who the higher court felt was guilty was set
11 >>> free by the lower court, and anybody the higher court felt was
12 >>
13 >> I'm not following this logic. Are you defining independence as also
14 >> being equals? The appeals courts don't manage the lower courts in the
15 >> same way a company manages its employees.
16 >
17 > My understanding is that in most courts higher courts are able to
18 > discipline the members of lower courts. If a lower court doesn't
19 > follow the precedence of a higher court, the lower court membership
20 > can be adjusted to one that will. This is often the case even when
21 > the lower court members are elected, but election of judges tends to
22 > cause many problems.
23 >
24 >> And while it may not be
25 >> universally true in the US, if a lower court decides someone is not
26 >> guilty (or a jury for that court does), then it's over. The appeals
27 >> court opinion is moot.
28 >
29 > I don't think this is true. I believe the prosecution is allowed to
30 > appeal decisions. An appeal doesn't constitute double jeopardy. Now,
31 > many of these decisions are findings of fact for which appeals courts
32 > tend to not pay much attention, but that doesn't mean that there was
33 > no opportunity for appeal.
34
35 Criminal Case. The defendant may appeal a guilty verdict, but the
36 government may not appeal if a defendant is found not guilty. Either
37 side in a criminal case may appeal with respect to the sentence that is
38 imposed after a guilty verdict.
39
40 Source: http://www.uscourts.gov/about-federal-courts/types-cases/appeals
41
42 So in short, if you are found not-guilty in a lower court it's over.
43 There's nothing more the US government can do.
46 >>>
47 >>> That actually brings up a separate issue with how Comrel operates.
48 >>> Right now the most common interpretation of the code of conduct says
49 >>> that the only person who can appeal a Comrel decision is somebody
50 >>> being punished by Comrel. If dev A complains to Comrel about dev B
51 >>> doing something wrong, and Comrel decides to take no action against
52 >>> dev B, dev A has no recourse for appeal. That is a system biased
53 >>> against action because there are two opportunities to stop action, but
54 >>
55 >> This is a good thing. Should you really have to worry so much about
56 >> what you say in emails, forum posts, IRC channels, so you don't offend
57 >> anyone and risk them reporting you and then you getting an X duration ban?
58 >
59 > You won't be expelled for offending somebody. You'll be expelled for
60 > demonstrating a persistent inability to follow the code of conduct.
61 > If you're about to do something that violates the CoC, then of course
62 > the possibility of enforcement should give you pause.
65 >> Like it or not, there are going to be conflicting opinions and
66 >> discussions on those opinions will sometimes get heated and on occasion
67 >> complaints will be filed because emotions have taken over, but none of
68 >> that is justification for ComRel to intervene.
71 > Of course. I'm not suggesting that Comrel should resolve every issue
72 > in an expulsion. And if somebody feels that Comrel didn't go far
73 > enough I do think they should have the same right of appeal as
74 > somebody who feels they went to far, but that doesn't mean that the
75 > Council has to agree with them.
76 >
77 >> There's nothing
78 >> positive of going to someone out-of-the-blue and saying "We received
79 >> complaints about you, we agreed with the complaints, so here's what your
80 >> punishment is. Don't like it file an appeal".
81 >
82 > In the few appeals I've seen, this was not the approach Comrel took.
83 > They would be overturned on appeal a lot more often if that were the
84 > case.
85 >
86 >> I don't recall anyone suggesting that comrel become independent of the
87 >> council. What I have seen and personally suggested was that comrel
88 >> membership be voted in by the full Gentoo dev community just as the
89 >> council is. Everything would remain the same. That means ComRel is
90 >> still overseen by the Council and anyone who doesn't agree with a ComRel
91 >> decision can appeal.
92 >
93 > If Comrel were independently elected, then it is effectively
94 > independent of the Council. Sure, decisions could be appealed, but
95 > short of overturning 100% of their decisions the Council would have no
96 > power to change how Comrel operates. And if we went with the appeals
97 > policy you advocated if Council felt that not enough people were
98 > getting kicked out it would have no ability to change that at all,
99 > since there would be nothing to appeal.
100 >
101 > Any body that is elected has its own mandate. The Council has a
102 > mandate. The Trustees have a mandate. That means the Council can do
103 > something and say "screw you, this is what the devs want" to the
104 > Trustees. Then the Trustees can do something else and say "screw you,
105 > this is what the Foundation members want" to the Council. That isn't
106 > productive. It makes far more sense to have one version of "what the
107 > community wants" with one definition of "the community." I really
108 > don't want to pattern Gentoo after the US checks-and-balances system
109 > which tends to end up just being a lot of stalemate with every branch
110 > basically trying to do an end-run around the intended process because
111 > everybody has their own mandate and does not agree.
112 >
113 >> Comrel isn't a normal project, it has the ability to significantly
114 >> affect Gentoo as a whole. The council has the same ability. I see
115 >> little wisdom in letting people join ComRel without a vetting from the
116 >> greater community when when Council members are required to go through
117 >> such a vetting process.
118 >
119 > I think it makes far more sense to have Comrel vetted by the Council.
120 > If you don't trust somebody to be wielding that power, you shouldn't
121 > put them on the Council.