From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Merging Trustees and Council / Developers and Foundation
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2017 15:58:50
1 On Friday, January 6, 2017 1:10:48 PM EST Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
2 > Am Donnerstag, 5. Januar 2017, 15:36:45 CET schrieb Matthew Thode:
3 > > Merging Trustees and Council / Developers and Foundation
4 >
5 > [...]
6 >
7 > > This split is suboptimal for Gentoo (all of it).
8 >
9 > I agree with this statement, though probably for slightly different reasons.
10 >
11 > In my opinion the main problem with the current situation is that it invites
12 > to "game the system". People unhappy with a council decision run to the
13 > foundation trustees. When foundation and council cooperate well, that's no
14 > problem, but as soon as personalities clash and responsibilities are ill
15 > defined, anyone can trigger a "Gentoo constitutional crisis" at will.
16
17 One difference is Trustees handle the legal liability. It is possible council
18 could make a decision that would make Gentoo liable. In that event, the
19 Trustees doing their job of protecting Gentoo. Would be acting in Gentoo's
20 best interest to avoid such potential liability.
21
22 There are lots of frivolous law suits in the US. Many times because
23 individuals suing organizations are not seen as equal. Organizations can lose
24 more than individuals. As in someone suing Gentoo has a greater chance of
25 winning, then say Gentoo suing that same person.
26
27 Even if the person has no case, a law suit can bog things down and it is
28 something Gentoo or any organization would want to avoid at all costs.
29
30 > That sounds like a good plan to me, in principle, however we need to figure
31 > out some details first. I think we really need to merge the voting pools, so
32 > there is one well-defined electorate for the board. Also, I think that
33 > voting for the board should be restricted to Gentoo developers (with or
34 > without main tree access), since that provides a good "proof of productive
35 > involvment".
36
37 Foundation membership was not directly tied to Developer status. Say you
38 retired, should all your previous efforts become negated? There are provisions
39 in the by laws to extend foundation membership as long as interest remains.
40
41 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/
42 Foundation:Bylaws#Section_4.4._Continuation_of_Membership
43
44 I seem to recall provisions that if someone failed to vote a few times they
45 would lose membership. But I am not seeing where you can lose membership short
46 of a request. Seems foundation membership is permanent unless requested
47 removal.
50 > The other side is that we can't predict worldwide legal impact, and that it
51 > may well be disadvantageous for someone in another country to officially be
52 > member of a US legal body.
53
54 US tends to be the most free and open. Most FOSS projects with a structure are
55 in the US. The SPI is in the US.
56
57 Not saying there is interest, but if Gentoo was say moved to another country.
58 That may further fall under export restrictions even for an open entity.
59 Assets would have to be transferred etc.
60
61 > * Board members have a different legal status.
62 > It may become impossible for some of our developers to be elected to the
63 > Gentoo "board", since the legal position may lead to conflicts of interest
64 > with real-life work.
65
66 This is very valid, and there might be further restrictions as to who can
67 serve on the board. Depending on what country they reside.
68
69 > * We need to figure out what to do with non-dev foundation members.
70
71 Likely need different levels of membership that include the community, Gentoo
72 staff, and also corporations. If companies can play a role in Gentoo, they may
73 provide additional funds, etc.
74
75 > * Anything else?
78 > So how can we solve this?
79 >
80 > [Disclaimer: I haven't done any detailed research yet, so some of the ideas
81 > presented below may well be premature.]
82 >
83 > * Transfer administration of Gentoo assets and finanicals to an organization
84 > as, e.g., SPI ( http://www.spi-inc.org/ ). See e.g. http://www.spi-inc.org/
85 > projects/ for references.
86
87 That does not change the US legal issues. The SPI is not a legal body, they
88 use the SLFC. Also in the US, as is the EFF.
89
90 > * Dissolve the Gentoo Foundation.
91
92 Good luck, though what many do not seem to realize is the Gentoo Foundation
93 does not really legally exist now.
94
95 > This means:
96 >
97 > * Anyone now running for trustees can run for council and be involved in all
98 > aspects of Gentoo oversight.
99
100 If no foundation, no trustees. No copyright and other legal protection as no
101 entity owns the rights to such. Meaning anyone can have their own Gentoo and
102 who could say who is allowed to use that name, logo, etc. Who owns the IP etc.
103
104 > * There is only one controlling body (I guess whether we name it "board" or
105 > "council" doesn't matter).
106
107 Most companies do not have 1 entity. They have a board, officers, etc.
108
109 > * The part of Gentoo where mistakes are fatal (IRS filings, corporate
110 > status, trademarks, financial statements) is handled by professionals (or
111 > not relevant anymore).
112
113 I do not think you fully understand what you are speaking about. There is no
114 avoiding some of the legalities. Any project faces the same, why many go to
115 the SPI to not deal with it, but comply with requirements.
116
117 > [Robin is doing a great job of handling our finances at the moment, and it's
118 > good that the trustees are very active now. As in all volunteer
119 > organizations, we can't take that continuously for granted though.]
120
121 Really then why am I treated how I am? Robin is doing minor things compared to
122 what I have done. Robin also not being a US citizen will have issues and be a
123 bit harder to do something things that are easier done from within.
124
125 This fell to him, because Gentoo drove others with such abilities away. No one
126 else stepped up so Robin is now. But the mess is pretty serious and goes back
127 to 2004.
128
129 > * The Gentoo "council" or "board" does not involve any legal status which
130 > can make it difficult for anyone to run.
131
132 The board does have legal status. The council and any other body has no legal
133 status.
134
135 > * The electorate lists for the "council" or "board" are handled by
136 > ourselves, and do not require membership of any legal body.
137
138 Again you have to have something legal to protect the name and other IP. There
139 is no getting around that period.
140
141 There was a reason Daniel Robbins created the foundation when he was leaving
142 Gentoo. He changed the structure, transferred assets, and was the only one
143 doing things the right way legally.
144
145 If nothing else, Gentoo could really use Daniel as a steward for the
146 Foundation. Gentoo's registered agent is Daniels attorney. Daniel lives in New
147 Mexico. A few things that make him ideal to be involved. Any reasoning to keep
148 him out makes no sense from that perspective. Unless there is another dev who
149 could be a trustee residing in New Mexico. Maybe an officer.
152 William L. Thomson Jr.