From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items -- Council meeting 09-10-2012
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 09:02:29
1 >>>>> On Wed, 3 Oct 2012, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2
3 > On 15:13 Thu 27 Sep , Brian Harring wrote:
4 >> What for? So someone can name their package foo-1? Is that really
5 >> such a major gap we're willing to induce breakage?
6 >>
7 >> Will anyone even !@#*ing use a package names foo-1? I've yet to see
8 >> an example given, just ignoring of the breakage it will induce.
9
10 > I tend to agree. What value does this provide? It creates additional
11 > work for no proven real-world benefit.
12
13 As I said before, the point is that the PMS isn't consequent, and
14 that there is a discrepancy between Portage and the PMS. Portage
15 is stricter because it also forbids package names like foo-1a or
16 foo-1_alpha that could be confused with a package name followed by
17 a version.
18
19 (Something along the lines of "a hyphen followed by a digit must not
20 occur anywhere in a package name" would be even simpler. We cannot
21 do that because there are packages like font-adobe-100dpi that don't
22 conform with it.)
23
24 Ulrich